Bohol Self Drive Advice Please

sandwichmaker
Posted
Posted

I'm here in Panglao and didn't plan much. Any tips given that i have a motorbike and am alone would be great!

the_whipster
Posted
Posted

it is seven years since I was on Bohol so I am not exactly up to speed. Especially as the earthquake caused a considerable amount of damage. However when I was there I found it quite an easy island to drive round. It is not so big, but it is big enough to consider moving closer to the Chocolate Hills, tarsiers etc to take those in. I would suggest this place here http://ideapensionhouse.daodiamond.com/

the Garden Cafe/Idea Pension House is rather expensive however you would be supporting a good cause as it is Deaf and Dumb person's charitable foundation. In fact Jagna town could be a rewarding place to park for you. Guys like you on the younger side of 30 are guaranteed to attract a great deal of attention in a town of Jagna's size where few foreigners stay. And this is where you can get the ferry, from Bohol to Camiguin - although find out in advance if it is still running. When I was last on Camiguin in February, the ferry had not been running for quite a while. 'Engine trouble', i heard.

as always in the Philippines, make sure you get hold of a good map and study it. Although I am not sure where you could find one. You might think that the tourist office in Alona or Tagbilaran would stock a good road map, however you can by no means be sure that they will.

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I'm here in Panglao and didn't plan much. Any tips given that i have a motorbike and am alone would be great!

One tips is to plan more ahead  :)   but perhaps you have adjusted to Filipin habbits not planning ahead any long :999:

If you like tourist spots you can go east to Anda, go to the river adventure plus the Chockolate hills on the way there.

I prefer go to OTHER than tourist places. Then you can go the "shortcut" north through the mountains and then follow the coast up to northeast part of Bohol, or go to same region, but go a diagonal route passing through/close to Chockolate hills.

LOOK UP! In some places OK concrete roads suddenly stop to be concrete, because they run out of money in the middle of the road building  :)

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I don't think you will have any issues.  When we were there two years ago there was not much traffic at all except in a few city areas.  Once you get out in the country to see the landmarks, it should be nice riding.  Just make sure you stay to the right!   :)