American With Knife Charged

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

American with knife chargedUpdated June 1, 2009 12:00 AM --------------------------------------------------------------------------------PROSECUTORS pressed charges of deadly weapon possession against a foreigner who allegedly threatened to hurt a group of minors.Charged was Ross Potter, an American living in Barangay Gusa.Police said the foreigner was caught with a seven-inch hunting knife at Sta. Cecilia Village at around 9:30 pm last May 28.Officers went to the subdivision after receiving a call for assistance from a resident who reported that a man was armed with a knife. Police said the American chased minors Rudy Estrada, Alan Estandarte and Alston Pacana. Assistant city prosecutor Isagani Ravidas recommended that the American be allowed to bail out for P2 thousand. -Susan Palmes http://www.goldstardailynews.com/content.php?id=3682As far as I know, there is nothing illegal in the Philippines to stop a person from carrying a knife, but it is illegal to have one, if you use it for illegal purposes, and that is what it appears this American is accused of. Does anyone know any law to the contrary??

johnb
Posted
Posted
American with knife chargedUpdated June 1, 2009 12:00 AM --------------------------------------------------------------------------------PROSECUTORS pressed charges of deadly weapon possession against a foreigner who allegedly threatened to hurt a group of minors.Charged was Ross Potter, an American living in Barangay Gusa.Police said the foreigner was caught with a seven-inch hunting knife at Sta. Cecilia Village at around 9:30 pm last May 28.Officers went to the subdivision after receiving a call for assistance from a resident who reported that a man was armed with a knife. Police said the American chased minors Rudy Estrada, Alan Estandarte and Alston Pacana. Assistant city prosecutor Isagani Ravidas recommended that the American be allowed to bail out for P2 thousand. -Susan Palmes http://www.goldstardailynews.com/content.php?id=3682As far as I know, there is nothing illegal in the Philippines to stop a person from carrying a knife, but it is illegal to have one, if you use it for illegal purposes, and that is what it appears this American is accused of. Does anyone know any law to the contrary??
Hi Lee, This may answer the question, http://www.chanrobles.com/bataspambansabilang6.htmAN ACT REDUCING THE PENALTY FOR ILLEGAL POSSESSION OF BLADED, POINTED OR BLUNT WEAPONS, AND FOR OTHER PURPOSES, AMENDING FOR THE PURPOSE PRESIDENTIAL DECREE NUMBERED NINE. .chan robles virtual law library .chan robles virtual law library Section 1. Paragraph three of Presidential Decree Numbered Nine is hereby amended to read as follows: .chan robles virtual law library

"3. It is unlawful to carry outside of one's residence any bladed, pointed or blunt weapon such as "knife", "spear", "pana", "dagger", "bolo", "barong", "kris", or "chako", except where such articles are being used as necessary tools or implements to earn a livelihood or in pursuit of a lawful activity. Any person found guilty thereof shall suffer the penalty of imprisonment of not less than one month nor more than one year or a fine of not less than Two Hundred Pesos nor more than Two Thousand Pesos, or both such imprisonment and fine as the Court may direct."
chan robles virtual law library

Sec. 2. Article twenty-two of the Revised Penal Code shall apply to persons previously convicted under paragraph three of Presidential Decree Numbered Nine..chan robles virtual law library Sec. 3. Any law or ordinance which is inconsistent herewith is hereby repealed..chan robles virtual law library Sec. 4. This Act shall take effect upon its approval..chan robles virtual law library

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Interesting ....... they must not enforce that law as just about every Filipino I have met caries a knife of some kind and as I have carried one sense the time I was 9 yo I would find it extremely difficult to not carry one now ........ Maybe the term "or in pursuit of a lawful activity " maybe a way out ..... that could cover a lot of ground as it doesn't say what a lawful activity is .........

TheMason
Posted
Posted

The only reason the guy is in trouble is because he was chasing people with the knife. If you're carrying it and minding your own business, no problem. I think it's illegal in all countries, not just the Philippines, to chase kids around with a knife. You'd be arrested for it in the US. If I was that foreigner, I'd be more worried about the neighbors than anything the police would do. I wonder what the minor's families think of their kids being chased by a foreigner with a knife?

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

"or in pursuit of a lawful activity", pretty much makes everything else in the law useless, and only directed at someone who uses a knife to commit a crime or has a criminal record and that is basically why I asked if anyone knew any other law that would make it illegal to carry a knife.Years ago in the US they had laws like the 4 finger one, laying the blade across ones fingers would make the size legal or illegal, since it would be illegal if it extended beyond the fingers, but that was found to be a stupid law since everyone's hands are different and some people with big hands could carry big knives while a person, such as a woman with tiny fingers, could only carry a tiny knife, yup can we spell discrimination, and therefore they had to change it to size of the blade in inches. I was wondering if I had missed such a law because I have always carried a knife in the Philippines and had police officers see my knife and no one had ever said it was illegal. In fact one Manila police officer friend asked me where he could buy such a knife, and I ended up just giving it to him as a gift, not because he wanted it but because he was my friend and I wanted to give it to him, and besides our trip was over anyway and we were leaving the country that day, so I no longer needed it. So, I thank everyone for their replies :th_exactly: and if anyone finds any other law that would make it illegal for an honest person to carry a knife, please be sure to let us know, and yes I know any law can be twisted to make a foreigner end up paying to get out of a jam, but I would rather be in that position than dead, and yes, I know how to use a knife in a fight and also how to throw one at close range, just in case those questions might come up.

tom_shor
Posted
Posted
Interesting ....... they must not enforce that law as just about every Filipino I have met caries a knife of some kind and as I have carried one sense the time I was 9 yo I would find it extremely difficult to not carry one now ........ Maybe the term "or in pursuit of a lawful activity " maybe a way out ..... that could cover a lot of ground as it doesn't say what a lawful activity is .........
Obviously not chasing minors down the street with it. Husking a coconut ok.