Best Place To Find Longer Term Rental

usa32
Posted
Posted

What are good places/companies to find longer term rentals near cebu, where you won't get gouged, just because your an american?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I find the rents in Cebu to be whatever the market will bear.  There are a lot of foreigners and a large part of the rental market is aimed at them.  In my experience it is rare for people to gouge you on your rent because you are American.  What is more likely is that you will pay a huge price if you want a desirable property that lots of other people want.  Condos renting at 50K per month come to mind.

As to where to find them, it really depends what you are looking for and what your budget is.  I have known people in and around Cebu who rent for 3,500 pesos a month and people who rent for 120,000 pesos a month.  The cheaper ones that are worth living in are in great demand and hard to find.  What's your budget?

• Like 2

sandwichmaker
Posted
Posted

A great well informed post from Dave. Those prices are good figures as a reference. 

In a nice housing area of Mandaue, Cebu,  a very small 2 bedroom apartment with kitchen/living space was going for 6k if I recall correctly. 

However Cebu city is such an unpleasant place to live in my view. Traffic and pollution. And crowds - people from all over the nearby visayas come for shopping or work. Tagbilaran is similar that way: Bohol-anos come from all around to shop or work there. 

• Like 1

usa32
Posted
Posted

Good question. I haven't really set a place, but being near cebu seemed more comfortable for a first timer.

I also found negros oriental and have seen beach front places there around 400-500 that look acceptable.

What area on that island is best in your opinion for girls and safety?

My total budget is like 1500 a month.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
What area on that island is best in your opinion for girls and safety?

In my opinion you are better off in Cebu for girls (plural) because here in negros oriental the girls get 5 or more foreigners flirting with them every time they are alone for a minute or more.  This means your competition here is pretty stiff.  But if you are only looking for one girl and take your time then any place in the country is good.

Safety is a very local issue.  There is no one city I can say s safer than another but there are certain areas within each city that are less safe.  Rent in a hotel or pension house while you get to know your chosen area and also get friendly with like minded expats who live where you choose to live and have done what  you want to do.

Your budget is quite reasonable.  4 to 5 hundred dollars a month will rent you something decent anywhere you choose to live but some areas will have you searching a little harder for beachfront at that price.

Bottom line:  Your questions are a matter of your personal choice but be assured you can do it once you decide where you like to live.

• Like 4