Philippines Internet Speed Up

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Anyone notice???  :)

Philippines Internet Speed now at 2.1Mbps, up from 1.4Mbps year-on-year

During the first quarter of last year, the Internet content delivery network company Akamai Technologies reports that the average Internet Speed of the Philippines was at 1.4Mbps. Just a year later, the same period of 2014, the Philippines’ average internet speed has significantly jumped to around 2.1Mbps or about 49 percent increase year-on-year.

post-1-0-07387000-1404208635_thumb.jpg

That said, this puts the country ahead of Vietnam and India which has 2.0Mbps and 1.7Mbps average downlinks speed, respectively. The Philippines is now behind from Indonesia (2.4Mbps), Malaysia (3.5Mbps), Thailand (5.2Mbps) and Hong Kong (13.3Mbps).
Back in the first quarter of lat year, Akamai released the state of the Internet report which recorded the Philippine internet speed with 1.4Mbps. Moreover, in the last quarter of 2013, the average Internet speed of the country had increased to 2.0Mbps. This represents only 5 percent increase per quarter which shows a slow growth.

While the Philippine average speed has significantly increased from last year by around 50 percent, the average peak speed has also decreased.

From 13Mbps average peak speed in second quarter of 2013, it skyrocketed to about 32Mbps by end of 2013. However, it dropped back to 18Mbps in the second quarter of this year. That said, it could be the result of the data capping of 4G LTE network connections which used to be unlimited back in 2013.

• Like 3

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I hope it will reach 2.5 MB download speed in "the bush" before I settle, so it can be possible to look at streaming TV there. 

Well. It don't hurt to HOPE   :mocking:

• Like 4

Markham
Posted
Posted

4G/LTE and fibre offerings here are a bit of a bad joke because the limiting factor is not the immediate connection but with the consolidators that link the country with the outside world of which there are two major ones, both controlled by PLDT. Since these join to undersea cables, there is a limit to the amount of traffic they can handle and contention levels can get to ridiculously high levels (contention being the number of users sharing the same IP Address or connection).

All Internet Providers here make claims for throughput speeds that are very optimistic and the only time you'll see speeds approaching those claimed will be on a speed test using a server in either Cebu or Manila. Try a speed test to Hong Kong, London or Los Angeles and you'll get a very different - and more accurate - reading.

• Like 5

Malcolm Graham
Posted
Posted

The SE Asian Japan submarine cable went operational last year.  Its rated as the fastest in the world at the moment.  Unfortunately Globe are in the owning consortium so PLDT will use it as a last resort.  One of the other members is Google.  I found this out when I was researching why my ping rate was so bad to a server in singapore  if I was using PLDT but was really good if I used my tattoo stick.

• Like 2