Negros Oriental, Good Place?

usa32
Posted
Posted

This island seems pretty good. I know you shouldnt rent a place from an online website without feet on the ground, but i found

http://www.dumagueteproperties.com/

Seems you can get a decent place, either one or very close to the reach for $400 or $500

From the people who have been there, how is the island? How is it for girls? Safety?

What is the best area on the island to live in your opinion?

Thank you!

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Dumaguete is a popular destination for Germans. A survey had placed the number at over 2,000. I don't know if the number is accurate.

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

I'll leave Jack Peterson or Dave H to answer this in detail... I think they have far more on-the-ground experience than me; I'm only there 8-12 weeks a year.  

I will say this though, I love it there.  I've visited many places in PI and other than the blatantly tourist type areas which are fun for a brief visit, Negros Oriental is easily my favourite.  We have a house in Guihulngan City (no, I still can't pronounce it), it's about 2 hours North of Dumaguete.  It's a quiet provincial city in the style that I like.   Allegedly 100k people (I've yet to find them) there with a bare minimum of facilities but we're not too far from anything extra we need.  Not really recommended for the single guy but if you want to be the stereotypical loner in the Asian village from the movies then it's the place for you.

If you're asking about girls, I'm assuming you're single so the figures you mentioned for rent will get you something very nice indeed depending on your expectations.  Don't rent off the internet though, you're incurring a "Kano" tax right from the start; web advertised places tend to be over-priced and targeting foreigners that don't know any better.  Dave H posted some good links recently to some really nice affordable guest-houses until you can make some local contacts.  

I now defer to Jack and Dave....  :attention:

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I'll leave Jack Peterson or Dave H to answer this in detail.

After a somewhat Stupid Weekend, elsewhere, I think Dave,  will be more, in a Settled Mind and mood to start with any Answers Today! the Cliche of "Tomorrow is another day" springs to mind here :unsure:

Best I get a good days rest, from some stupidity, on Negroes of late.  Not dangerous, just some people, Maybe Tomorrow, I will be in a  better, frame of mind, to be a little serious, and some seriousness is needed, if we are give help on this, an important issue but   USA, Remember that the Island, is 2 provinces.Oriental and Occidental (Although there is talk of making it just Negros Island in the next couple of Years.) Occidental is served best by Mike S and Steve and Myrlita + some others, so you may well get a few good ideas from up north also.

Morning all :morning1:  have a Good Day and post you all tomorrow.

JackP :tiphat:

robert k
Posted
Posted

I would say that Negros Oriental is a good place, I spent many hours studying it and two weeks looking at it as a place to live and if it were not a pretty nice place it would not have taken that long. I will point out what made me decide not to live there.

Topmost is that if you search threads on this forum you will find that many people have to go to Cebu anyway for one thing or another and this will likely involve a ferry ride and a few ferry rides are novel experiences, too many would wear on me though. Negros has no international airport that you could drive to and flights are fewer than from Mactan/Cebu. I believe it likely you will experience more brownouts and less infrastructure living on Negros. You can order and have alot of things shipped, sometimes pretty fast but that is not the same as going and getting it today, sometimes.

For me I think Cebu island would just be more convenient. There is alot I would like to see and do on Negros, I have friends there but it's just as easy to visit them as it would be to visit Cebu city any time I felt the need to go there if I lived on Negros.

I would say safety is the same, you need common sense anywhere.

I would say that the ladies are equally attractive and equally friendly. :)

It may be cheaper to live in areas with less infrastructure, really cheap sometimes, but then you can eat up much of the savings if it's a daily trek to a larger city, this applies to anywhere.

I can't make a recommendation besides go see for yourself because I don't know what your comfort zone is. I would have my checklist ready, internet speed is not huge on my list but it may be on yours and it can be an issue. I was born in southern California and I love the beach but I will not pay a 100% premium to be right on the beach, 5 to 10 minutes ride to the beach once a week would be fine with me or even 10 times a month. More likely I would visit different beaches within an hours travel, public and at resorts, why settle for just one? :)

• Like 5

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I'll leave Jack Peterson or Dave H to answer this in detail

Asked and answered in another thread:  http://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/19388-best-place-to-find-longer-term-rental/?p=123402

To the op, you really do not need to ask the same question in 2 different threads.  Its a small forum and people will see your question if you give them time.  If no one is answering then just bump the thread after a day or so by replying to your own question.

• Like 4

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

I am interested in Negros Oriental because the outlaws come from Canlaon City - they married and moved to Mindanao to start a farm.

The somewhat "Baguio-type" climate of Canlaon appeals to me, though of course it is the "back of beyond", in terms of infrastructure.

• 2 weeks later...
RBM
Posted
Posted

I am interested in Negros Oriental because the outlaws come from Canlaon City - they married and moved to Mindanao to start a farm.

The somewhat "Baguio-type" climate of Canlaon appeals to me, though of course it is the "back of beyond", in terms of infrastructure.

Canlaon is magnificent, we ride up there once or twice a week. Some of the scenery on back roads is staggering beautiful, as is the mountain. I have climbed it 3 times and loved it, except last time, was freezing, and pouring all night.

The price of verges are give away in up town market, now a nice resto in the city, also cheap.I would not want live there but to stay some days if you like the out doors it's perfect.

• Like 3

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Canlaon is magnificent, we ride up there once or twice a week. Some of the scenery on back roads is staggering beautiful, as is the mountain. I have climbed it 3 times and loved it, except last time, was freezing, and pouring all night.

The price of verges are give away in up town market, now a nice resto in the city, also cheap.I would not want live there but to stay some days if you like the out doors it's perfect.

Thanks very much. Canlaon City goes to the top of the short list.