Glode Problems Ad Infinitum

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Once again I can't access many websites with my broadband, the so-called "selective browsing" problem. Some of the sites are internal to the Philippines, some external. Via VPN all works fine. It's kind of unusual since I see the same problem with the post paid data plan on my phone, that's usually not the case. Won't bother calling the "help" line, I don't need any more instruction on rebooting their modem. Saw this article in the paper yesterday that might offer a clue on why these things never seem to be fixed.

"P50-m fine on non-compliant telcos sought

Amid  consumer complaints of slow Internet access as well as recurring blocked or dropped mobile phone voice calls, House Deputy Minority Leader Arnel Ty is batting for a penalty  of up to P50 million for telecommunications companies  that fail to  improve their services. “We are pushing for new legislation that will revise and update the financial punishment that regulators may impose on telcos that are unable to live up to mandatory quality of service standards,” said Ty, representative of LPG-MA party list. The National Telecommunications Commission may impose a fine of only up to P200 per day on telcos offering services that do not meet quality benchmarks. The amount is based on a 78-year-old law, the Public Service Act of 1936. As a result, Ty said telcos would rather risk paying the paltry fine, than upgrade their services."

<more>

http://manilastandardtoday.com/2014/07/14/p50-m-fine-on-non-compliant-telcos-sought/

• Like 3

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

wooo another purposed law to improve something that is broken but what are the "chances" that

1.it will be approved or passed into law..

2. what are the odds of it being a law and actually being "enforced"? 1%20%28103%29.gif

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

It's not a street-level ordinance, if it was passed I believe it would probably be enforced because I think there's enough public support to demand it. Besides the measly p200 a day fine (probably not being enforced) they also give "outage rebates", last month mine was p49.84. How they arrived at that I have no idea, no explanation was provided. Once the infrastructure is in place It costs the telecoms relatively little to provide internet service, the major costs are in startup and upgrades. Is Globe doing the necessary hardware and software upgrades to adequately support their current subscriber base and all the new ones they're luring in with aggressive promos and discounts? The threat of a p50M fine could provide some motivation.

• Like 2