Indoor Clothes And Outdoor Clothes

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

Just an observation on a difference.

In Britain, and for aught I know, in the States, Australia and Sweden, young women commonly wear on the street the clothes that they are going to wear at a party or when going "clubbing".

Less so in the Philippines, where the risks of being groped, or much worse*, on the street and in public transport are very real.

A Filipina will typically travel in jeans and a T shirt and change to shorts and a sexy top once the party is under way.

The clothes that she changes into, these days, may be quite skimpy and nobody will bat an eyelid, but were she to wear the same clothes in the street she would be branded as a fast woman or even taken for a "pok-pok".  

There is of course no need to wear warmer clothes outdoors!

To illustrate - there is about half an hour between these pictures, it was a family birthday party:

10486585_836360033048519_761177124438179

10487378_836367576381098_610060252417946

This would not happen in Britain, but it makes excellent sense.I wish English girls did it,.

*The Filipinos even have a word for rape combined with murder - the "rape-slay".

Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

It really depends on location. In large cities like Metro Manila and Metro Cebu, wearing shorts and tight t-shirts are commonplace. In smaller towns, this type of attire sends the wrong message.

• Like 2

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted (edited)

In Britain, and for aught I know, in the States, Australia and Sweden, young women commonly wear on the street the clothes that they are going to wear at a party or when going "clubbing".

Here in the summer people wear the same clothes outdoors as in. During the run-up to the 2010 Shanghai Expo state-owned media mounted campaigns to try to convince people not to wear pajamas in the street.

post-4147-0-84302800-1406771711_thumb.gi

post-4147-0-26995800-1406771978_thumb.gi

Edited by not so old china hand
  • Like 2

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

It seems the Chinese were ever thus; in one of my favourite books, "Yangtze Reminiscences" by the late Captain Graham Torrible, there is an account of why missionaries were banned from travelling in Second Class aboard John Swire and Sons' ships; because they made trouble, by objecting to their Chinese fellow passengers wearing pajamas all day! 

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

My wife and cousin (not the same girl!) wears short shorts around the house but will change into a skirt or long pants to go out.  She would not be seen in public in the shorts.

But when I read the title of the post my first thought was how many of the Filipinas  go out, around the neighborhood, in their pajamas! 

• Like 2

El Negrito
Posted
Posted

Here in the summer people wear the same clothes outdoors as in. During the run-up to the 2010 Shanghai Expo state-owned media mounted campaigns to try to convince people not to wear pajamas in the street.

At first I laughed and thought, what?! But not much different from some people in the US who stroll around Walmart in their PJ's I have seen it quite a bit here in Mexico too!

It seems the Chinese were ever thus; in one of my favourite books, "Yangtze Reminiscences" by the late Captain Graham Torrible, there is an account of why missionaries were banned from travelling in Second Class aboard John Swire and Sons' ships; because they made trouble, by objecting to their Chinese fellow passengers wearing pajamas all day! 

Hehe I remember comments like that from older TV comedies.