To Drive Or Not To Drive In The Rp

Travis
Posted
Posted

I am wondering how many non Filipinos have their own cars & drive here & what problems I might have while driving besides the way Filipinos drive? I am getting use to the driving habits of people here now & I think I could actually drive cuz I am getting tired of taking taxis & always having the drivers sneezing and coughing.

Michael
Posted
Posted

I met a man from Norway living two or three hour drive south of Cebu City. He would drive to Cebu City and back at least once a month. He tried to drive in the day time. He also told me he drives like a Filipino with a finger on the horn. He had a turbo SUV.

Mik
Posted
Posted

I drove here for the first two years. The stress was getting to me so I haven't driven for the past year. I also got stressed from driving in the states but it's worse here.

TheMason
Posted
Posted

For me, driving is not worth the hassle. Taxis or jeepneys are cheap and easy for around town transportation. When I need to go to another town, the bus station is only a short distance from our house. I sometimes miss the ability to just jump in my car and go somewhere, but not too often. I would also be concerned about getting in an accident here. If you are in one, its your fault no matter what because you are a foreigner. When I drove in Mexico, people went out of their way to hit cars driven by foreigners because it was easy money. I suspect the same is true here, although I haven't experienced it personally.

Travis
Posted
Posted

thank you Michael, M.Morey and The Mason, please keep the opinions coming I am still not sure but you guys mentioned things I did not think of