How To Do Business Here?

RBM
Posted
Posted

Feeling a little frustrated at moment. Wonder how many others have my experience or am I guilty of the just me syndrome.

Decided after discovering some beautiful scenic roads up and beyond Canlaon time to buy a go pro. So, living here prefer give business locally. First go on ayosDito, found quite a few of the exact model I prefer. Wrote to several shops as prefer buy new, also sent some texts out. Just asking basic questions about the product and payment method.

Shortly after followed up a couple on trade me NZ, similar questions. My brother is arriving end of month so no problem to bring it.

Couple of days later, zero replies from Manila shops, Zero texts returned. Trade Me NZ every question answered, followed by in some cases a further mail encouraging me to buy.

Guys we all acknowledge service here sucks but one could surely expect some reaction from major Manila shops.....

Reminds me of trying to book hotels, rarely if ever have I received a reply. On the occasion a reply received, unless you have their letter in hand chances are hotel has no record of booking.

Maybe somebody has an answer to the long exhausted question why oh why???

• Like 4

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)

Mediocrity?    lack of motivation?

the cell number is incorrect or not working?

not understanding "english" if your text was received?

Could that explain it.

Edited by Pittman apartments Sgn
  • Like 3

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

The Philippines is not "wired" for commerce yet; the weakness of the transport infrastructure, the unreliability of the mail, the limited number of credit cards in use and indeed the weakness of the Internet itself in the Philippines all militate against take up of e-commerce.

Consequently, most shops, even big ones, expect to deal with "walk in" customers only. Their staff very often forget to check for emails or texts, and indeed the PC may be sitting on the big boss's desk and not switched on, or running Facebook!

Hotel reservations similarly seem to require a physical piece of paper. Same reasoning I think. 

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I seem to have pretty much a different experience for the most part. Most hotel inquires answered,some times takes a few days and I'm talking Email here. One appliance store I have dealt with a few times In Cebu uses yahoo instant messages to communicate and follows up with Email. Admittedly I have not used phone or sms messages and I think the problem with that is when a store sales person or hotel receptionist is confronted with English speaking westerners rather than the native tongue some sort of defense mechanization comes into play as the Filipino is afraid of embarrassing themselves with what they feel is sub standard English or possibly the fear of speaking to someone they think is from a higher society so rather than put themselves in that position they ignore it all.

That's just my opinion and may be completely off base.

• Like 3

MikeB
Posted
Posted
Hotel reservations similarly seem to require a physical piece of paper.

Used to be but things slowly change. I just stayed a couple days at a hotel in Dumaguete, made the reservation through the hotel web site and no paper whatsoever. 

• Like 2

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

I seem to have pretty much a different experience for the most part. Most hotel inquires answered,some times takes a few days and I'm talking Email here. One appliance store I have dealt with a few times In Cebu uses yahoo instant messages to communicate and follows up with Email. Admittedly I have not used phone or sms messages and I think the problem with that is when a store sales person or hotel receptionist is confronted with English speaking westerners rather than the native tongue some sort of defense mechanization comes into play as the Filipino is afraid of embarrassing themselves with what they feel is sub standard English or possibly the fear of speaking to someone they think is from a higher society so rather than put themselves in that position they ignore it all.

I basically have had the same experience that Tom has had, my hotel always answers me promptly for all emails, uses paypal, visa, etc for bookings, etc...all very timely and professional. have dealt with local companies as well, small computer companies, even the local Samsung at Ayala, all very professional with great comms via email or text.

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

Nice to hear this, so maybe I have had some bad luck but it sure makes a despondent. Wonder if perhaps location or standard of hotel has bearing on it. Normally I have tried to book Cebu around the P1000---12 mark. Just had success with Fuente Aura and stuck with them.

As for trying to buy my go pro, gave up, paid a little more and bought on line back home.

Look forward to few more experiences.

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

Answer...., welcome to the Philippines. There is not a great deal of consistency here in regards to internet booking and buying. Facebook yes! For those hotels with a website (not all do) I would also check their facebook page, as they are more likely to respond!

Have no idea why, just the way it is. Most businesses here do not have their own website, and those who do frequently do not keep it up to date, the exceptions usually are those owned or operated by foreigners.

As has been stated, it is not consistent so, you have to just take a chance. I do believe it is getting better, with more businesses realizing that over 80% of people looking for a product or service do so on the web first, and therefore they have been loosing out on potential customers.

Don't give up! Things will get better!

Papa Carl

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Guys we all acknowledge service here sucks but one could surely expect some reaction from major Manila shops..... Reminds me of trying to book hotels, rarely if ever have I received a reply. On the occasion a reply received, unless you have their letter in hand chances are hotel has no record of booking. Maybe somebody has an answer to the long exhausted question why oh why???
Concerning business I have got answer from 1 of 4   (A real estate agent answered, but not mashine seller. And 2 government departments didn't answer    :) 

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Wonder if perhaps location or standard of hotel has bearing on it. Normally I have tried to book Cebu around the P1000---12 mark. Just had success with Fuente Aura and stuck with them.

Not sure about location making a difference but a couple of responses I recall were from pension houses at the time so you could call them a lower standard hotel although I hear some are just as good.