Insurance For Motorbike

Becky Bulasco
Posted
Posted

I'm sorry to be a pest, but you guys know all this stuff and I don't. To whom do you contact about getting some insurance for a motorbike? Do we need it? Our thought was that if, heavan forbid; we run over a child or something. Having insurance might be a good idea to take care of medical care, ect...........any thoughts or advice or better yet, a url of a good company?  thanks............becky

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I'm no expert on bikes but you're required to have Compulsory Third Party Liability (CTPL) insurance for p100k in the event that you hit someone. You can't register or renew the registration w/o that. It covers bodily injury or death to a 3rd party (as the name says) not property and not you. That may not be enough. I was involved in a very bad bike accident in 2011. The damage to me and the bike were the only issues, I didn't mess up the 10 wheel dump truck too badly. The medical bills were quite high, about p1.5 million when all was said and done. If you don't have medical insurance you should. Riding a bike in the Philippines w/o medical insurance is kind of insane, just my opinion. Haven't quite started on the Tandauy yet, I can't even spell it. 

Edit: to answer your question I have insurance with Federal Phoenix on my SUV, I no longer ride motorbikes. They cover bikes as well as do many others. 

• Like 1

jon1
Posted
Posted

For motorcycles it's hard to find Insurance companies willing to do comprehensive policies (other than the mandatory Liability insurance). Aside from Mike's insurer, I use MAPFRE out of the Union Bank in Manila. They were the only ones willing to insure my motorcycle. It costs me about 16,000p for a bike valued at 750,000p. I have never heard of anyone being able to get comprehensive insurance for the small scooters (150cc and less).

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

I'm no expert on bikes but you're required to have Compulsory Third Party Liability (CTPL) insurance for p100k in the event that you hit someone. You can't register or renew the registration w/o that. It covers bodily injury or death to a 3rd party (as the name says) not property and not you. That may not be enough. I was involved in a very bad bike accident in 2011. The damage to me and the bike were the only issues, I didn't mess up the 10 wheel dump truck too badly. The medical bills were quite high, about p1.5 million when all was said and done. If you don't have medical insurance you should. Riding a bike in the Philippines w/o medical insurance is kind of insane, just my opinion. Haven't quite started on the Tandauy yet, I can't even spell it. 

Edit: to answer your question I have insurance with Federal Phoenix on my SUV, I no longer ride motorbikes. They cover bikes as well as do many others.

I concur, please make sure you have the appropriate medical insurance first.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

The problem is if she's in a remote area in Samar and has a serious accident the insurance isn't going to save her if there are no hospitals or surgeons. Forget the NPA, that's by far the biggest risk.

• Like 1

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

The problem is if she's in a remote area in Samar and has a serious accident the insurance isn't going to save her if there are no hospitals or surgeons. Forget the NPA, that's by far the biggest risk.

There are some pre-hospital over there, but not alot. What usually happens with bad trauma over there,(as long as they got good medical insurance), ERUF staff will jump in a blackhawk and go and get them. The ERUF has a very good relationship with the army based on Cebu.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Gator
Posted
Posted
to answer your question I have insurance with Federal Phoenix on my SUV, I no longer ride motorbikes. They cover bikes as well as do many others.

MAPFRE out of the Union Bank

Good info, thanks guys. Will look into both when I arrive as I want to avoid using one from a kiosk at the LTO office; heard they offer cheap rates, but don't always pay claims.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I'm not familiar with these LTO kiosks but they're probably selling the CTPL insurance that is a requirement for registering or renewing your registration. The LTO actually has a computerized system that checks CTPL, I saw it the last time I registered my vehicle. But it doesn't cover you or property damage and, most importantly, it's limited to p100k. There's a reason why it's cheap.