Olongapo / Roommate?

KeithInAsia
Posted
Posted

I'm looking for a roommate situation in Olangopo.   Anyone there have an extra room they want to rent out?

I'm in the Philippines 50% of the time or less.   I travel between China and the Philippines frequently.  Currently the few things I have are stored up in Angeles -- but I'm saying good-bye to nightlife and saying hello to water, beach, boating, and scuba.

I don't need to return to the Philippines until early November, but I might be able to hop over there for a quick visit if I found an ideal place to live.

ALTERNATIVELY -- would anyone out there want to rent a multi-bedroom apartment space with me?

My focus is to be in the central Olongapo City area where I can walk to all that I like.    I like being near a decent gym (1 mile away as I run there)... I like being near a decent Mall...close to good food, and I like being somewhat near the water.   Being near the drop off point for the bus that comes from Dau is also helpful as I will be travelling into Olongapo from Clark regularly.

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

Darn, loosing another expat from Angeles to Subic! This is starting to get serious!

Ha, Ha have to admit, Ellie and I have talked about this as well, as I think Subic might have more to offer our little girl in regards to quality of life......, or is that just me thinking I might enjoy being closer to the water better for me!

Hope you find what you are looking for, and keep us informed as to whether your decision was the right choice for you.

Papa Carl

• Like 2

KeithInAsia
Posted
Posted

ha ha ha...  I've been around the bar business off-on for a number of years.   It's nice to drop into the bars every once in a awhile but I dislike the caliber of people that environment attracts.   The men (x-pats) there who live off the local economy are predatory.   I haven't made too many friends there because I don't like their economic survival instincts (which are to "screw others when possible").

Time to get away from that and closer to holistic living.

I'm a water guy and I have been away from it for a too long....   If I get an economic windfall in the years ahead -- I'll buy a boat on live on it (as I have in the past). 

And I'm business oriented -- need to do a office in one of the economic zones... so -- there are you go.      I can always hop over to Angeles to take up on a night of fun, but I'd rather be further from those higher levels of corruption and the idiot x-pats who think they can black list you with a stupid phone call. 

jon1
Posted
Posted

Darn, loosing another expat from Angeles to Subic! This is starting to get serious!

Ha, Ha have to admit, Ellie and I have talked about this as well, as I think Subic might have more to offer our little girl in regards to quality of life......, or is that just me thinking I might enjoy being closer to the water better for me!

Hope you find what you are looking for, and keep us informed as to whether your decision was the right choice for you.

Papa Carl

Carl,

It is a whole different world down here. The rent is not cheap but you can get food on the local economy at similar prices to what you pay up there in Angeles. The quality of life is really great here and would never entertain leaving. Great ocean breezes, jungle views, ocean views, not congested, no jeepneys or trikes and plenty of space. When needed you can get to Angeles in less than an hour.

I'm a water guy and I have been away from it for a too long....   If I get an economic windfall in the years ahead -- I'll buy a boat on live on it (as I have in the past). 

Keith, I have heard nothing but bad stuff about the Subic Yacht Club. If you do get a boat, I would look elsewhere to moor it.

• Like 1

SubicSteve
Posted
Posted

Your best bet is to come here for a few weeks and look around.  There are a few places where you can get a months rental and then you can survey the area.  Sitnbull and the RAO(???) have bulletin boards with rentals posted.  Truthfully though, I don't think I would trust 99.999% of the expats here enough that I would live with one of them.  Nothing on base is cheap rent wise.  You can find a place in the city of Olongapo but most of the expats are on base, in Barretto, Baloy or towards Subic.

• Like 3

KeithInAsia
Posted
Posted

Guys thanks so much for the advice.

I have been through Angeles off/on for about a year   I probably spent a full 4 months there in total....    I need to get down to Olongapo for an extended stay and hit the pavement and see where there is to see.

What kind of rent would you guys expect to pay for a smaller one bedroom apartment?   10K?  12K? (P) a month?

SubicSteve
Posted
Posted

Guys thanks so much for the advice.

I have been through Angeles off/on for about a year   I probably spent a full 4 months there in total....    I need to get down to Olongapo for an extended stay and hit the pavement and see where there is to see.

What kind of rent would you guys expect to pay for a smaller one bedroom apartment?   10K?  12K? (P) a month?

It will vary depending on how local or western you want to live.  I'm sure u can find places for 5 or 10K a month, I'm just not sure you'd want to live there.  I think 10-15K would get u something livable.  I think the old marmont hotel across from SitnBull is less than 15k a month(plus electric).  Good location and very secure, especially if u wont be around for weeks or months at a time.

• Like 3

alsuave
Posted
Posted

You won't find anything less than 23 to 25k on base. You can find places for less than 10k in Gapo but they won't be very nice. I don't know about barretto or baloy as I've never cared much for living in either.

• Like 1

KeithInAsia
Posted
Posted

I want to be in the main city area if possible.   Seems like that is a central location.  Think I'm going to just have to get in there and hit the pavement and look for something once I'm there.

• Like 1