Boc Experience

JonPalawan
Posted
Posted

I play with electronics, specifically a derivative of the ancient Intel 8051. Trying to get stuff to work is the ultimate puzzle: I don't know if it's a wiring problem, defective hardware or datasheet, or my misunderstanding. And I read that solving puzzles is a good way to keep an old brain functioning. There is a wealth of material online, and hardware is so cheap. . . Until it arrives. I recently ordered $31 worth of stuff from China, and when it arrived at the DHL store I was confronted with a $51 Bureau of Customs charge. I told DHL to destroy the package, I wouldn't pay. BoC had assessed a value of $120 to the parts, even though the invoice (correctly) stated the actual cost. BoC could have verified the prices on Ebay. A month went by and I got a text from DHL offering to accept $15 in customs. Now, the BoC website has a customs calculator and if you enter a value of zero, you get a charge of more than $15. My conclusion? DHL or the BoC employee who is stationed at DHL simply pockets any duty and so is free to set customs at any amount, whatever the consumer will bear. 50% duty is still too much, but I wanted my toys.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)

It is eye opening that the amount of duty is a negotiable figure.  I wonder if it is just that one agent who is open to negotiate or if it is widespread  Let us not suggest that customs officials are corrupt and can be bought as that is illegal  :morning1:   Let us instead focus on how to get the best legal price on importing items.

Now, the BoC website has a customs calculator and if you enter a value of zero, you get a charge of more than $15. My conclusion? DHL or the BoC employee who is stationed at DHL simply pockets any duty and so is free to set customs at any amount

This is interesting.  Of course I could google it but would you mind posting a link to the precise calculator of customs duty you found?

Edited by Dave Hounddriver

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Post like this should be referenced to the ole "can I live on $1000". post,,,,In the end you have to pay for what you want or think you need

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I try my hardest to use balikbayan boxes for all incoming shipments.  There are services in the US that will ship with them - there must be other countries that do it too.