Uk Ex Pats Tax Allowance

Robin Hilborne
Posted
Posted

There are reports in the UK press that the UK Government are considering removing the tax allowance currently £10,000 from expats. On the face of it that means a 20% tax hike on pensions first £10K. My MP has written to the Chancellor for clarifacation. see attached

• Like 1

Welcome Post Bot
Posted
Posted

This is an automated reply.

A member of the Forum Support Team will answer your inquiry as soon as possible.

The forum help files may solve issues you are having, you may read them by CLICKING HERE

Other answers concerning how to use the forum are HERE

26-8-14- Letter to George Osborne MP on behalf of Robin Hilborne.pdf

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

There are reports in the UK press that the UK Government are considering removing the tax allowance currently £10,000 from expats. On the face of it that means a 20% tax hike on pensions first £10K. My MP has written to the Chancellor for clarifacation. see attached

Thank you. I had missed this rather catastrophic idea. You have the right MP for the job - worth ten of mine.

None the less I will write to mine.

What more is to be done? 

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Thanks. Had a quick read through, and will read it again in the morning when I am brighter!

popeye72 
Posted
Posted

How will they know where your living. I know I will be keeping an Irish address when I retire.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

What more is to be done? 

Until the Consultations are complete i would not worry too much. As it stands, we are covered here, as the Uk has both these agreements in Place. However the consultation may try and remove this but it will take time. 

The government will consult on the possibility of people not resident in the UK losing their personal allowance.  This means it is not law yet.

How this works?

Currently a British National or EU National with e.g. Rental Property income is entitled to a full UK personal allowance (£10,000 with effect from 6th April 2014).

The means that provided expats are living within the EU or outside the EU but within a country with a close tax and social security agreement with the UK, you get to keep your personal allowance on the UK and can “earn” up to £10,000 per year from the UK tax free.

however The consultation may, look to wipe this out. 

I linked in another piece for reading.

http://www.financialadvice.net/budget_2014_expats_could_lose_uk_tax_allowance/zone/7644

The previous piece, was good reading but like most official, letters and reports, are sometimes, Gobbledy Gook to me. This is much easier to relate to.

Good Morning all  JP :tiphat:  :morning1:

• 2 weeks later...
Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

What more is to be done?

Until the Consultations are complete i would not worry too much. As it stands, we are covered here, as the Uk has both these agreements in Place. However the consultation may try and remove this but it will take time. 

The government will consult on the possibility of people not resident in the UK losing their personal allowance.  This means it is not law yet.

How this works?

Currently a British National or EU National with e.g. Rental Property income is entitled to a full UK personal allowance (£10,000 with effect from 6th April 2014).

The means that provided expats are living within the EU or outside the EU but within a country with a close tax and social security agreement with the UK, you get to keep your personal allowance on the UK and can “earn” up to £10,000 per year from the UK tax free.

however The consultation may, look to wipe this out. 

I linked in another piece for reading.

http://www.financialadvice.net/budget_2014_expats_could_lose_uk_tax_allowance/zone/7644

The previous piece, was good reading but like most official, letters and reports, are sometimes, Gobbledy Gook to me. This is much easier to relate to.

Good Morning all  JP :tiphat:  :morning1:

Hi folks, just Bumping this to see if we have any more news and/or reactions.

Thank you

:tiphat: