Apple Watch

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I don't wear a watch anymore so I won't be buying it but I can't imagine trying to do "computer things" on a 1.5in display screen. My phone's 5.1in display is already too small. One of the comments on the video presentation by Mr Cook was interesting, "It was like watching a cult leader spewing forth to his followers. Watching the "audience/congregation" clap enthusiastically over a digitized piece of metal was weird. It started to creep me out so I turned it off." I had the same feeling.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/10/technology/apple-aims-for-the-wrist-with-a-smartwatch-while-making-the-iphone-6-larger.html?rref=homepage&module=Ribbon&version=origin&region=Header&action=click&contentCollection=Home%20Page&pgtype=article

robert k
Posted
Posted

Is it really too much trouble for people to pull their phones out?  If it looked like a $40 casio then it might be useful if you were in a bad area and didn't want to pull out your iphone. I don't think I would find a 1.6" screen useful even if I put on my contract small print reading glasses. :) 

MikeB
Posted
Posted

There is a viable market for these or something similar - someone old or ill could wear it at all times and be remotely monitored by loved ones or even a medical professional. Just take away all the workout apps and all the other crap and make it much cheaper. That would be a good reason to buy one. Can’t think of another. 

Alby
Posted
Posted

A watch that requires a phone to operate is what bothers me. If one had the phone, why on earth would he need the watch?

I might get the phone only and retire my iPhone 4S. Well, that's what my Filipina gf is dreaming of. I meant getting my 4S :)

Which brings the question of, what's the best way of getting one? Buy it from the Philis or wait for a trip to HKG, SIN or SYD?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hey guys,

As MikeB mentioned, it could be a growing market for the elderly that will automatically notify someone during a medical alert.  

The person's heartbeat can be monitored in real time, I guess.

My first impression of the Apple Watch (or similar brands) is another marketing gimmick, just in time for Christmas season.  I

could see all the Chinese fakes being sold in the street of Manila and Cebu.  I believe it will drive the locals crazy in search for

another fake Apple status symbol, while he's wearing fake Levis jeans with plastic personality.  

Reverse engineering, remanufacturing and repackaging or the relabeling industry are all lucrative businesses there....... 

Edited by Jake
spil chek
  • Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Sorry Jake but the Apple Watch won't be available until after the new year - and it also requires you to have a newer iPhone to operate the watch with...

:tiphat:  :mocking:

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

Sorry Jake but the Apple Watch won't be available until after the new year - and it also requires you to have a newer iPhone to operate the watch with...

:tiphat:  :mocking:

Thanks Bob, I didn't realize you need to sync with another device (newer iPhone) to make it work.

This trend of personalized communications is getting too complicated for me.  Too many buttons

to remember and the eventual scratched or broken touch screens.  I could see the human body in

the near future as a walking communications device with a barcode on your forehead and a couple

of biological microchips embedded under the skin.  

I would bet a nickel that this Apple Watch will be hitting the Asian market before the official release

in the States.  Many will already be knockoffs, just in time for Christmas......he, he. 

Read you lima-charlie.......Jake 

• Like 2