Good Docs

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Most of the time you hear bad things about doctors here and not the good.  It was nice to here Dave's story about getting some good care.  I wanted to share something recent.

I like my GP here a lot.  A good guy and he likes to chat with me about any concerns, without any time pressures.  He seems knowledgeable about the latest Western medicine as well as local medicine and practices.  He even keeps up on which Western meds are not in PH and when they might be.  I'm going to talk to him about an emergency plan, as per Dave's thread.  I pay him p350 per visit and more than once we have talked for more than 30 minutes.

However the reason for this post is our pediatrician.  He also seems knowledgeable and he has a lot of expat daddys as clients.  We saw him on Thursday because the baby has a cough.  He is always available by text and answers right away.  He has a globe mobile and we just got a globe landline, so we can call him for free.  Abby texted him at 7 pm tonight, Saturday, and asked if she could call.  OK, not a problem, and she talked to him.  We pay him p300 per visit, phone calls free!

How many doctors in the U.S. or your home country still offer personal service?  Not many.  In the U.S., if you could get a docs personal number, probably the first thing out of his mouth would be "go to the emergency room"!

• Like 5

anthonytt
Posted
Posted (edited)

Yup, it's so true. We recently moved from New York to Arizona. Thought the doctors here would be less pushy to get you out the door. 10 minutes is the max until the dr starts pushing you out the door. It's all about billing your insurance company ridiculous amounts of money. That's what they care about... Not You. Glad to hear you found a caring Dr! I'll be asking you his number soon as we get there.

Edited by anthonytt
  • Like 2

Americano
Posted
Posted

Carcar City has Dr. Regis who worked in the USA for 40+ years I believe as a surgeon. He retired in the USA so he could spend some time with his elder parents.  He's semi-retired now and has an office close to Gaisano where he sees patients a few hours Mon - Fri.  Most foreigners who have seen him say he's very good.  He charges P500 per visit.  My wife just told me that his office is being renovated right now so maybe he's temporarily closed or working from another location.

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I saw my GP the other day for a case of Pneumonia as well as my closing appointment prior to leaving the Great White Nord...  I was in and out within 3 minutes including a prescription for an antibiotic and paperwork for getting a chest xray...  It would be nice to have a doctor who takes the time to figure out what is really wrong with a person before getting booted out the door!

:1 (103):  :mocking:

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
He is always available by text and answers right away.  He has a globe mobile and we just got a globe landline, so we can call him for free.  Abby texted him at 7 pm tonight, Saturday, and asked if she could call.  OK, not a problem, and she talked to him.  We pay him p300 per visit, phone calls free!

As a follow up, our pediatrician does not have office hours on Mon-Tue, and yesterday we were getting worried because the baby's cough was getting worse.  Abby texted him at about 9 pm for advice, and he said he was at Lourdes hospital and we could come over.  Just bring her to emergency and he would meet us there.  It was not really an emergency but we decided to go because he would not be around on Mon/Tue.  Upon arrival at 9:30 pm on a Sunday night, we told the emergency room staff we were just there to meet the doc, and they understood.  However, they took the baby's vitals and had us fill out some paperwork.  The doc came and spent about 30 minutes with us, looking at her and explaining the treatment.

No charge for the emergency room or staff.  p350 total charge.

• Like 4