Finding Work In It

andre6b
Posted
Posted
I live and work in the UK.  I am a software developer/team lead (16+ years of experience, financial sector).  I am quite keen to find about opportunities in the Philippines.  Any practical advice on the subject?

Thanks!

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Like India, the Philippines has a large Business Placement Outsourcing (BPO) industry. Call centers are the most popular and biggest employer. There are also companies that produce software for international clients in all categories. Reason is the cheap labor cost, but the supervisory personnel are from countries like the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom.

For highest salary, it is best to obtain an employment contract while you are still in the U.K. This way your compensation is at the expat level rather than as a local hire. The compensation package usually includes a housing allowance; use of a company car and driver; annual vacation travel to your home country; and entertainment allowance. More likely, you will receive two salaries. One is paid in the U.K. at a tax advantageous level. The other is in pesos which is taxable income in the Philippines. 

I don't know U.K. taxation rules. The compensation package may vary. The hiring company will probably consult with an international tax accountant. 

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Additional Note:

You could also take the initiative and suggest to your contacts the possibility of starting a subsidiary company producing software in the Philippines under your management. Many international corporations outsource their accounting services overseas to reduce costs. I know of several financial institutions with backroom offices in Bangalore, India. This is happening even at the individual consumer level. Companies similar to H&R Block have retail offices in the United States to accept information from tax filers. The actual work is done overseas by personnel trained in US accounting.  

andre6b
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the reply, JJReyes.  I'm less of the accounting/budgeting financial IT guy and more of the investment banking one, so my managers are unlikely to open a branch in Manila any time soon just because I have asked them.

Anyway, I'll keep looking for relocation opportunities, which indeed would be the best way forward.

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Perhaps the best choice would be consultant type positions where you can telecommute from anywhere in the world where you have good internet.

andre6b
Posted
Posted

Perhaps the best choice would be consultant type positions where you can telecommute from anywhere in the world where you have good internet.

Most certainly, and I'm working on it as well.  Unfortunately, it is hard to compromise after a relatively good income level here, in the UK :)

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Most certainly, and I'm working on it as well.  Unfortunately, it is hard to compromise after a relatively good income level here, in the UK :)

As a foreigner you could start an IT business in the Philippines that handles programming outsourced from the UK or other western nations. As a BPO type of business which has all foreign (to the Philippines) customers you can own 100% of the Philippine company.

andre6b
Posted
Posted

As a foreigner you could start an IT business in the Philippines that handles programming outsourced from the UK or other western nations. As a BPO type of business which has all foreign (to the Philippines) customers you can own 100% of the Philippine company.

I'm not that business-minded, to be honest, but thanks for the info