Be Careful, It's Almost Christmas

bootleultras
Posted
Posted

Just thought I'd send out a reminder to the newer folk moved over here, although Christmas is generally a time for giving, there's still plenty who like to take...... Any way they can. Living in the NCR I know of 3 expats, 2 work colleagues and 1 close friends who have been mugged in the past week or so all in various parts of Manila, parts that my wonderful wife educated me on a long time ago to stay away from but never the less still something to watch out for. One of them got in a dodgy taxi and was taken down a side street where there was a group waiting for him.... Passports, money other documents taken, one in broad daylight at 4pm who got attacked in a busy street where there sole aim was wallet and cell phone, in this instance I'm happy to say the locals did them selves proud and stuck up for this elderly gent fending off his attackers, the third guy I know got blind sided outside LRT Taft and had minimal money taken, luckily enough all three came out with bumps and bruises although the taxi attackers wielded knives and left a few cuts all are fine just with stories to pass on.

So always stay safe, be very aware of your surroundings and where you are in the city, stay away from known bad areas, bad things do happen! There are apps for smartphones now where you can travel in safety for a 70 peso booking fee, for me that's a lot cheaper than the hospital bills that will follow and the personal items you could lose.

Hopefully we will not fuel criminals by putting ourselves in bad positions. This is not intended to scare you either just to educate and inform like we always do.

Stay safe and enjoy the long long long Christmas season in the Ph

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Please share details on the app? Thanks

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

The scumbags hit everyone.  I heard that this video was making the rounds on the new channels this past week.  It looks like the cell phone was the target.

• Like 3

bootleultras
Posted
Posted

Yeah I saw this video, both guys are already in jail thankfully the girls are safe now.

For your smartphone download grab a taxi or easy taxi

They pinpoint your location and you enter where you're going, it shows you all the driver in the area and when one takes the job sends you there name, license plate and phone number, they also email it to you and give you the option I post details on social networks all in all a good safe way to

Travel for the minimal 70 peso booking fee, safest way to et around at night.

It also estimates the fare and bar traffic is usually cheaper than what the estimates are

• Like 4

bootleultras
Posted
Posted (edited)

The scumbags hit everyone. I heard that this video was making the rounds on the new channels this past week. It looks like the cell phone was the target.

They sure do, I should've mentioned the 3rd expat who got hit at the lrt Taft station area is actually a fil British mix who looks more Filipino than anything so no one is safe, even the Jakes of this world will tell you they have to keep 2 eyes open at all times depending where they are and what time of day it is Edited by bootleultras
  • Like 4

Jake
Posted
Posted

The scumbags hit everyone. I heard that this video was making the rounds on the new channels this past week. It looks like the cell phone was the target.

They sure do, I should've mentioned the 3rd expat who got hit at the lrt Taft station area is actually a fil British mix who looks more Filipino than anything so no one is safe, even the Jakes of this world will tell you they have to keep 2 eyes open at all times depending where they are and what time of day it is

Hello Bootleultras,  

We appreciate you coming back to us and just in time for Christmas mis-givings.  People do sometimes flaunt their

valuables and the local holdapers will again, enjoy a target enriched environment.  This topic was posted by Gaga4

DEC 2013 and it's worth repeating here: http://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/17950-taxi-modus-operandi-yahoo-news-article/#entry111602

Stay with us for awhile.....we need to catch up on how you're doing around Manila.  Warmest regards to your family.

Respectfully -- Jake with eyes wide open........

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

They sure do, I should've mentioned the 3rd expat who got hit at the lrt Taft station area is actually a fil British mix who looks more Filipino than anything so no one is safe, even the Jakes of this world will tell you they have to keep 2 eyes open at all times depending where they are and what time of day it is

I just watched it again, and it was nice to see some people run over to help, although too late.  I'd like to snap that guy's neck for attacking a little girl like that.  Justice would have been served quickly if a truck had plowed them over when they sped away.

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

I think there are apps out there that will permanently brick a phone if you text it a code. I think I will look into it.

• Like 2

bootleultras
Posted
Posted

Robert the app for iPhones is called simply find my iPhone and you can indeed permanently shut it down at the touch of a button...... The guys that ran over in the video and the taxi driver at the back who gave chase actually came up trumps with the bike reg and the two arseholes arrested and charged!
Thanks for the welcome back Jake, all is good here, just been an extremely busy 6 months or so

• Like 5

i am bob
Posted
Posted

The apps are available for Androids too - and often through your Virus Protection programs.

I"d like to say it's good to see you back too, Bootleultras!   (No Welcomes...   :hystery: )

:attention:

• Like 1