Cultural Differences

Bruce
Posted
Posted

In the past 3 days, Samar was hit by (another) storm. I have friends in Catbalogan whose house was flooded by 2' of water. Other houses less than 1/2 mile away were flooded up to the roof. Some houses lost their roof in the wind. Local people raised their belongings up off the floor as high as they could and then went to the churches on the higher ground to wait out the flood.Now that the flood has passed they returned to their homes to start clean up. No water or electricity for a few days until things dry out. Lots of mud. But the interesting thing is that there are no news reports about citizen complaints of being abandoned by the government. No 'Al Sharpton" activist types mugging for the camera on how the government does not like the flood victims due to their skin color. No screaming people DEMANDING governmental money. No demands for free housing. A vast difference in attitudes in the Catbalogan flood victims as compared to similar storm victims in certain parts of the US. I sent a few hundred dollars over to help out. And will be sending over more medicines if needed again. On my next trip, I will be working with the local barangy officials to install some public showers. It certainly helps being a mechanically inclined Kano..... If anyone reading this has a friend or family on Samar, you too might think about sending some help their way. Can't fix everyting, but every little bit helps raise the quality of life for the locals.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)

Some great points Bruce, and I have found that most Filipinos are self reliant because they have to be, and because there is no big government out there to help them, since basically they are on their own from birth to death, unless of course they can find some nice kano to help them out. SugarwareZ-004.gif I commend you on your efforts to make a better life for your friends and other Filipinos, and for advocating that others do as well. :th_thsmilies-29057: As for people in the US who complain, most are just spoiled by always expecting government to take care of them. I often envy the people of the Philippines because of their ingenuity and self reliance and how they help each other in times of crisis, rather than sit around and complain. There are many Americans who also do this, and that could plainly be seen when other parts of the US flooded and no one complained, just helped each other and did their best on their own because government was not prodded by activist with their hands out. Yes, the Filipinos are a proud people and in times like these, deserve our help and any help they can get without having to bitch for it. :541:

Edited by Mr. Lee

Mik
Posted
Posted

Yep, that's the difference between individualism and collectivism. Individualists take care of their own and help their neighbors. Collectivists expect their government to rob (through taxes) their fellow citizens and give them handouts. Individualism is freedom. Collectivism leads to tyranny.

TheMason
Posted
Posted
In the past 3 days, Samar was hit by (another) storm. I have friends in Catbalogan whose house was flooded by 2' of water. Other houses less than 1/2 mile away were flooded up to the roof. Some houses lost their roof in the wind. Local people raised their belongings up off the floor as high as they could and then went to the churches on the higher ground to wait out the flood.Now that the flood has passed they returned to their homes to start clean up. No water or electricity for a few days until things dry out. Lots of mud. But the interesting thing is that there are no news reports about citizen complaints of being abandoned by the government. No 'Al Sharpton" activist types mugging for the camera on how the government does not like the flood victims due to their skin color. No screaming people DEMANDING governmental money. No demands for free housing. A vast difference in attitudes in the Catbalogan flood victims as compared to similar storm victims in certain parts of the US. I sent a few hundred dollars over to help out. And will be sending over more medicines if needed again. On my next trip, I will be working with the local barangy officials to install some public showers. It certainly helps being a mechanically inclined Kano..... If anyone reading this has a friend or family on Samar, you too might think about sending some help their way. Can't fix everyting, but every little bit helps raise the quality of life for the locals.
US citizens hold their government to a higher standard of performance. When govt. failure to build adequate infrastructure capable of protecting cities from flooding results in an entire city being wiped out, I think citizens have a right to expect competent assistance to recover from the disaster. When what little aid is provided is funneled to rehabing primarily white areas of the city, I think questioning if racial motives are behind that are completely justified.Perhaps if Filipinos had activists demanding the govt. look after the poverty stricken of this county there would not be these types of disasters. Infrastructure could be put in place to limit the damage of typhoons. Instead, Filipinos simply accept that they will get no aid or assistance or preventive measures of any kind from the government. I fail to see how low expectations of the government to assist it's people is an admirable trait. To the contrary, I think its a key reason the Philippines is so poorly developed and its people the victims of repeated disasters like this.

Bruce
Posted
Posted
US citizens hold their government to a higher standard of performance. When govt. failure to build adequate infrastructure capable of protecting cities from flooding results in an entire city being wiped out, I think citizens have a right to expect competent assistance to recover from the disaster. When what little aid is provided is funneled to rehabing primarily white areas of the city, I think questioning if racial motives are behind that are completely justified.Perhaps if Filipinos had activists demanding the govt. look after the poverty stricken of this county there would not be these types of disasters. Infrastructure could be put in place to limit the damage of typhoons. Instead, Filipinos simply accept that they will get no aid or assistance or preventive measures of any kind from the government. I fail to see how low expectations of the government to assist it's people is an admirable trait. To the contrary, I think its a key reason the Philippines is so poorly developed and its people the victims of repeated disasters like this.
Well I have been to New Orleans and have friends who have lived there. Certain areas 'squander' money and other use it wisely. News reports just LAST WEEK were telling about FEMA selling trailers to 2005 storm 'victims' just to get rid of these people. Like a bad relative who just moves in and refuses to leave. When is 'enough' enough? When is it time to stop giving? When can tax payers who support the freeloaders say (stop) without being called racist? GET a job! Get some self respect! SUPPORT yourself! When?My main point between the people that I have met in the Philippines vs the angry 'you OWE ME' American, is the lack of a bad attitude. To be frank about it, I realize that my little bit of money and effort will not change the Philippines. Won't even make a dent. Not even a drop in the vast ocean of need. But, my little bit of help / money does make a small difference in the quality of life a a few Pinoys in need. And those who I may help, aren't DEMANDING it from me nor are they angry with me when I say no. And THAT is a huge differencwe between the average Pinoy and his / her welfare receiving American counterpart. Whatever color they may be.

tom_shor
Posted
Posted (edited)
Why is that the federal governments fault? They built their city in a toilet bowl then expect everyone else to pony up to make it habitable. Why don't they build the infrastructure themselves? Too expensive? Then perhaps they should move somewhere above sea level. Personally I think not one cent should have been spent to rebuild until the land was built up at least 6' higher than the top of the present levys. Everything there should have been knocked down and used as fill or the place should have been abandoned. Or at least reduced in size to the high ground the older parts of the city occupy. I hope the people of Samar affected by this flood will be able to rebuild their lives. It is good they don't wait for the government to step in but at least begin the process themselves. Edited by tom_shor

til
Posted
Posted

I guess the more taxes you pay, the more you expect the government to do for you...

tom_shor
Posted
Posted
I guess the more taxes you pay, the more you expect the government to do for you...
Exactly! So give me back my money and let people who choose to live in places that require hundreds of millions of dollars in infrastructure to make them livable pay for it themselves or move. Especially for infrastructure that is a large continuing expense. If it is a one time expense it might be worth considering.