Intramuros Bi - Arp And 6 Month Extension

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I have not seen much posted about visiting the main BI office in Intramuros, so I thought I would post some tidbits that might be helpful if you are planning a visit.  Several things changed since my last visit 8 months ago.

I could not extend beyond 24 months in Olongapo City so I had to go to Intramuros.  I also was anticipating to complete the new ARP process.

I went last Monday and my plan was to arrive when they open at 0700.  I left Subic at 0415 and did arrive right about 0700.

There was a short queue outside, maybe 30 people.  The reason was that they were having some type of employee presentation in the lobby.  Customers were not let in until around 0730.

They now require that anyone entering the building leave an ID and get a badge.  I'm not sure how that would work for someone who only has a passport as ID, but they probably let you leave something else.

At the back of the main lobby is the ARP desk with 3 computer terminals.  It is where the information desk was before and they seem to be sharing it now.

If you know for sure you are going to do ARP, as soon as you enter the building, look to the right.  There is a small table handing out the ARP and Visa Extension queue numbers, separately.   Show the ARP person there your paperwork (download it online) and they will give you a number.  I asked a couple of questions about the form too and they were able to answer them right there.  I got #001, first for the day.

The small problem was, ARP desk was not staffed until about 0815.  I'm not sure if this is normal.  She took my picture and fingerprints, then typed all the form information into the computer.  About 10 minutes.  She gave me the bottom part of the form as my Certification, and I was done with ARP.  As I mentioned in another post, I was never charged anything.  They also did not do anything with my ACR card.  I think I read in one of the publications that a new ACR card would be mailed but she did not mention anything about the ACR card.

I forgot to make copies of my passport and ACR card for my extension, so I got those at the outside cafe at the end of the building.  There are copiers at both ends of the building.  You can also get photos made but I didn't exactly see where, as I had mine.

Got my Extension queue #, 019 for the day, at about 0830.  They were not that busy apparently, so the early morning visit seemed to be good timing.  I waited a few minutes before my number was called.  3 minutes there then over to the cashier to pay p7030 for 6 months.  Over to the other window and they say to wait 1 hour and your passport will be ready.  I had a coffee and a sandwich at the aircon cafe at the end of the building.  There is a Starbucks across the street but I was not sure if you have to turn in your badge, etc., to go there, so I just stayed in.  Returned to hang out by the release window and the nice lady there waved my over, so that was only about 45-50 minutes processing time.

I had printed both my ARP and extension forms incorrectly and filled them out before I realized it.  They did not mind and I was glad they did not make me fill out new forms.

Overall, not a bad visit.  They are a huge processing office, so a 1 hour turn time for extensions is a reasonable goal.  I'm spoiled by the Olongapo City processing times, which are usually less than 15 minutes.

The first time I visited 8 months ago I took a wrong turn on the way there and wasted a lot of time.  This time the trip there was fine except for traffic, a lot of which was from construction.  I thought I knew the best way to go back, but I botched it, ended up over by the U.S. Embassy, and then started over at BI!  A couple of more wrong turns and I easily added 45-60 minutes to my trip!  There are so many one way streets in the area around the bridges that if you make a mistake, you get caught in traffic and it takes a long time to recover.  I made note on my errors and next time I have it nailed, I hope!

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted
I think I read in one of the publications that a new ACR card would be mailed

I doubt that, to my knowledge BI never mails anything - for good reason. 

Alby
Posted
Posted

When anybody ask me (or you) for my address I say ... is there such a thing in the Philippines ? :)

Today, I was at PLDT and they asked me to sketch on paper where I was located? :)

Cable TV and Globe did the same thing then the installer texted me asking for directions :)

So, mail it to where!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

When anybody ask me (or you) for my address I say ... is there such a thing in the Philippines ? :)

Today, I was at PLDT and they asked me to sketch on paper where I was located? :)

Cable TV and Globe did the same thing then the installer texted me asking for directions :)

So, mail it to where!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same thing happened with my Globe DSL.  I drew a picture and we are easy to find as we are across the street from a park with a basketball court and tennis court.  I'm in the old US military housing so there are logical streets and house numbers.  The contracted installer still couldn't find us without calling several times!   :)