Student Visa

komments
Posted
Posted

I am trying to figure out the best way to come for 3-5 years.  I was told an SRRV is probably not my best choice but I was thinking that as a retiree, I might like to go back to school.  I have a lot of college credits but no degree.  Does anyone have experience with a student Visa?

I figure it might be an inexpensive way to come in for the time I want to be there, I could get some learning' in and I might even earn a degree I can hang on the wall.  Of course it will depend on things like tuition and other costs but I think it might be fun.

Thoughts?

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

KOM....congratz on your upcoming retirement. You'll love it (or go bonkers in a couple of months :bash:  lololz). A lot of us are married to Filipinas and don't face the situation you and your wife are in. If its advise your after, well you came to the right place, and its worth exactly what your paying for it :) . Sounds to me you and the wife want to kick around the globe for a few years before returning to the states. The Philippines is a great place for that, what with the common language and a lot of the same customs (but not all by any means). IMO your best bet is to just come on a tourist visa and extend it as needed. I do not use that type of visa, but there are a lot of posts that describe it here. It will probably be less expensive in the long run and a lot less hassel. I believe you can stay up to 2 years total, leave the county for 24 hours, come back and start the 2 years over again. (others would know the exact details, or other posts will.)

About continuing your education: Well education here is kind of like buying beer in Mexico, if your old enough to put the money on the counter your old enough to buy it :lol: . Education is big here, (for the young) but over all its all about the money. I have really not seen what we would call a community college, where you see old folks pottering about taking a ceramics or yoga class. Having said that there are "trade schools" by the hundreds.  You name a subject and I would be willing to bet you can find a school (or diploma mill) that teaches it. There are even schools here that will take the GI bill from American veterans (I looked into that prior to my retirement). But in the end it was to much hassle and after 30+ years of wearing a uniform, I didn't want to wear one to college.

OH yeah, almost forgot the uniforms. Seems that no matter what level of education from kindergarden to high school, to the trade schools, even the University of the Philippines, one thing they all seem to have in common is that all students where uniforms to school. 

Like I said education is very big here, (straying off topic) but to what purpose? You will find that most of the girls that work in the mall all have a degree of some sort or another.

Anyway, hope this helps a little. :cheersty:

komments
Posted
Posted

The degree would be for me.  Something I haven't accomplished yet.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Bet you'll look good in a uniform :thumbsup: ...attaching a picture I found on google, that's the university of the Philippines,,,,kind of like their UCLA

post-1638-0-00912100-1413511468_thumb.pn

komments
Posted
Posted

Maybe I will pass for a professor - or Peter Griffin.