Philippines Blames Outsourcing For Job Losses

TheMason
Posted
Posted
http://www.inquirer.net/specialfeatures/jo...20090701-213255This article hits a new high in hypocrisy. How can any Filipino lawmaker rail against outsourcing when outsourcing is one of the key industries driving the Filipino economy? Maybe this senator doesn't realize how many jobs are created in the BPO industry through outsourcing by Western companies. Its a classic example of the Filipino double-standard at work. Outsourcing is good when it happens to foreigners, but bad when it happens to Filipinos.

mike
Posted
Posted (edited)
http://www.inquirer.net/specialfeatures/jo...20090701-213255This article hits a new high in hypocrisy. How can any Filipino lawmaker rail against outsourcing when outsourcing is one of the key industries driving the Filipino economy? Maybe this senator doesn't realize how many jobs are created in the BPO industry through outsourcing by Western companies. Its a classic example of the Filipino double-standard at work. Outsourcing is good when it happens to foreigners, but bad when it happens to Filipinos.
A typical political rant nothing new here, they never learn that the Philippines is not the only game in town.What makes me smile most, is the idea, that a company cannot go broke until it gets permission....so laughable, to do so is illegal lolThey do not seem to get it, articles like that one are a big turn off to potential new investors. Philippines employment law has made it more unattractive to do business here every year. When companies start turning around as they will, I expect the Philippines to be actively ignored, who needs the headaches!! Edited by mike

TheMason
Posted
Posted
A typical political rant nothing new here, they never learn that the Philippines is not the only game in town.What makes me smile most, is the idea, that a company cannot go broke until it gets permission....so laughable, to do so is illegal lolThey do not seem to get it, articles like that one are a big turn off to potential new investors. Philippines employment law has made it more unattractive to do business here every year. When companies start turning around as they will, I expect the Philippines to be actively ignored, who needs the headaches!!
I used to work in the BPO industry in Manila. When I moved here full time I was all set to open business as a relocation expert. Our clients would have been companies stationing their employees here for extended assignments or private citizens that were coming here to be full time residents. We'd have helped them orient themselves to their new environment, locate good schools, businesses, churches, entertainment, etc. I had my network of contacts and clients in the pipeline ready to go on the US end, and I had identifed reliable businesses in Manila that we could steer expats to with a clear conscience.My business would have been small, but I'd have employed a few people and paid taxes. Then I started looking into the details of doing business here and decided it wasn't worth the effort.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Exactly Mike! Why would I locate my factory in Da Philippines if I have to deal with a dumb a** like this guy! Same old foolish shoot yourself in the foot Filipino political BS.

Travis
Posted
Posted

I think this is a great place to retire to with an income but you would have to be crazy in my opinion to go into any business anywhere in the Philippines

tom_shor
Posted
Posted
A typical political rant nothing new here, they never learn that the Philippines is not the only game in town.What makes me smile most, is the idea, that a company cannot go broke until it gets permission....so laughable, to do so is illegal lolThey do not seem to get it, articles like that one are a big turn off to potential new investors. Philippines employment law has made it more unattractive to do business here every year. When companies start turning around as they will, I expect the Philippines to be actively ignored, who needs the headaches!!
Especially when major filipino employers are permitted to circumvent the laws.

tom_shor
Posted
Posted
Exactly Mike! Why would I locate my factory in Da Philippines if I have to deal with a dumb a** like this guy! Same old foolish shoot yourself in the foot Filipino political BS.
Or just give him a bunch of money then everything is ok.