Subic To Baguio Trip

jon1
Posted
Posted (edited)

We just did a nice 2 day trip to Baguio. The TPLEX now goes up to Carmen and Kennon Rd is only an hour away from there (if you use the Magilas Trail alternate route (turn right as you come off the TPLEX)). 

It was rather cold (lows around 13C and highs around 19C). So bring shoes, socks, jeans and a jacket!

Here is the write up that I did on my blog http://www.lifeinsubic.com/2014/12/baguio-trip.html

Edited by jon1
  • Like 3

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Nice writeup jon. I of course love the free natural aircon in Baguio.

You are right that it helps a great deal to have a driver who knows his way around Baguio because of all the narrow, winding and the one way roads near the downtown area.

Things are kind of crazy the last two days here before Christmas. So many tourists and SM mall is packed plus hard to get a taxi and traffic jams. So many people I can't get on the Smart cell phone network if I am near SM mall or downtown. Lucky for me I live close enough to SM and downtown that I can walk home in less than 30 minutes.

• Like 3

jon1
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thanks. The free aircon is nice but a little too cold for me :D

I can imagine about the congestion as Olongapo is the same way. I am trying to avoid going into city proper unless a dire emergency.

We are experiencing the same thing here with the cell networks. My wife couldn't even register for unlimited today. 

Edited by jon1
  • Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Nice write up of the trip Jon!  The driver certainly worked out well.  Our family there knows where everything is but we are always sidetracked with trips to the market, etc.  I have found out that the Avanza will hold 13 people of various ages, but getting up the final hill to the house usually does not work.  Some have to jump out!

I'll have to look for that Chinese monument next week and I have never made it to the strawberry fields either.

• Like 2

jon1
Posted
Posted (edited)

OMW, the bell church is at a dead end road https://www.google.com.ph/maps/search/chinese+bell+baguio/@16.4274685,120.5827671,14z?hl=en and really close to the Strawberry fields in La Trinidad.. 

The Strawberry fields turned out to be more of a large coop truck garden (broccoli, cabbage, strawberries, etc. were in great abundance. We brought a few kilos of broccoli home as they were only 50p/Kilo! 

Edited by jon1

• 2 weeks later...
OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
The TPLEX now goes up to Carmen and Kennon Rd is only an hour away from there (if you use the Magilas Trail alternate route (turn right as you come off the TPLEX)). 

I have an update for anyone thinking of driving up to Baguio from the south.  They opened up a new section of TPLEX right about the time Jon went through there, or just after.  Someone told me it was the 20th but even if you went through there on the 20th or after, it is easy to miss this due to confusing signage.  Thus I will give you some tips.  Things could change at any time so use them cautiously.

I started to write out how it transpired for us but it was going to long and confusing, so I will bullet it.

Northbound

--  After you pay the last Northbound toll (Carmen area) continue north for a short distance until you see two signs.  One says Urdaneta City straight ahead, and the other is the exit right to Carmen.

--  If you want the new section of TPLEX and new fastest route, go straight, following the Urdaneta City sign.  This is about 15 km of new TPLEX.

--  The sign is confusing, because you end up in what must be "North Urdaneta City", past all the business district traffic.  This new exit is about 5 km south of where the Magilas Trail route merges back into MacArthur Hwy, but there is little traffic in that section.  The new exit is great because it puts you right on MacArthur.

-- The new section is free until January 15th.  After that the last Northbound toll booth will change to this new Urdaneta City exit.

--  Currently, if you get off at the Carmen exit, there is no ramp to get back on the new Northbound section.  You are stuck and will not be able to use the new section.

--  If you need gas or something to eat, get off at Carmen.  Turn left to go to Carmen where there is food and gas (left on MacArthur will take you to SM area, right will take you North to Urdaneta City food and gas).  Continue North on MacArthur when done.

--  If you want to take the Magilas Trail route, get off at Carmen and turn right.

Southbound

--  For the new section, look for the signs on MacArthur pointing you to Manila / TPLEX.  This is about 5 km south of signs that will point you to Manila / TPLEX via Magilas Trail.

--  To get food, pass that and keep going to Urdaneta City.

--  Currently, once you are on the new southbound section, there is no exit at Carmen and you have to keep going south.

--  If you need gas, get it before you get on the new section.  There is no easy access to gas once you get on, for a long way.  There is gas nearby at the Carmen exit after they open that exit.

--  New section is free until January 15th.

In General

-- Unlike NLEX and SLEX, TPLEX and SCTEX do not have any roadside gas/food pullouts.  To get gas and food, you have to exit, pay the toll, and hunt for gas and food.  The Carmen exit is the only one I can think of where there is gas right next to the TPLEX exit.  The other exits are very rural and you probably have to go clear over to MacArthur to find anything.  Plan your gas accordingly.

--  Plenty of gas on MacArthur.  Plenty of Filipino eateries.  Fast food in the big towns.

We did not take the new route northbound.  We took it southbound.  With traffic on Kennon Road and in Rosario area, one short stop and one medium stop, we made it back to Subic in about 4 hours.

• Like 1