Transport

spike in cebu
Posted
Posted

Transport around the philipines PLANES,many destinations,there are delays on take off times sometimes BOATS,all sizes the major people movers here from island to island,best book a cabin if you want to be comfortable on long journeys,travel light and never leave your stuff unattended BUSSES,big and small,many destinations,beware they drive like demons,if you are tall or big not comfortable TAXIS,many old with strange noises,make sure they put the meter on,and have small change to pay the fare,strangely a lot have no change,write the address down that you are going to some driver don't understand and go the long way JEEPNEYS,the big people mover here,20 people crammed in like sardines on two bench like seats,ok if a pretty lady sits next to you,do not use these at night,cheap transport Vhire,air/con van fits about 18 people,set route you have to wait till its full before it goes,only stops to drop off passengers no pick up TRIKES,motor bike with built on sidecar with a roof,fun the first few times,if you are tall or big,no fun at all,i found these guys to be the biggest rip off artists of all

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Transport around the PhilippinesPLANES,many destinations,there are delays on take off times sometimesBOATS,all sizes the major people movers here from island to island,best book a cabin if you want to be comfortable on long journeys,travel light and never leave your stuff unattendedBUSSES,big and small,many destinations,beware they drive like demons,if you are tall or big not comfortableTAXIS,many old with strange noises,make sure they put the meter on,and have small change to pay the fare,strangely a lot have no change,write the address down that you are going to some driver don't understand and go the long wayJEEPNEYS,the big people mover here,20 people crammed in like sardines on two bench like seats,OK if a pretty lady sits next to you,do not use these at night,cheap transportVhire,air/con van fits about 18 people,set route you have to wait till its full before it goes,only stops to drop off passengers no pick upTRIKES,motor bike with built on sidecar with a roof,fun the first few times,if you are tall or big,no fun at all,i found these guys to be the biggest rip off artists of all
I have been lucky I guess, the only time my plane was delayed was in Davao, I think it was about 2.5 hours late. They gave us a burger and drink while waiting.AS for busses, not for me, never again.Trikes are not to comfortable either, no leg room or head room.Taxi is the way to go for me .

Mike S
Posted
Posted

But Spike you left out my favorite way to travel here in Cebu....... pedi-cab ......... and some day when I lose enough weight to ride in one I'm gonna try it ....... SugarwareZ-011.gifpost-11-1220330693_thumb.jpg

Whitenite
Posted
Posted

Gidday and thanks for the welcome and the offer of assistance! - I only want to learn some for i guess my benefit cause I reckon if you go to another country its kinda neat to know a little of the National Language. There is pleanty i would like to know - especially when it comes to the tips and things to avoid being possibly taken for a ride (Ripped Off) - for example one thing is this. If travelling alone how easy or dififficult is it to communicate with the locals when trying to catch a Jeepney somewhere and how does a first timer know what Jeepney to catch? - How do you communicate with the fella that hangs off the back who shouts the instructions to the Driver? or is there a much safer alternative method of getting around on ones own? How do you you know what a fair charge is when catching a Jeepney or tricycle when alone - Regards Steve

Hello SteveI hope you enjoy your time in the Philippines.Keep taking Tagalog lessons if you want but the locals in all those places will speak Bisaya, also known as Visayan or Cebuano.Tagalog is the language of the northern Philippines. For me, the only reason to know how to speak tagalog is so I can watch a Tagalog movie at the cinema.I have been to all the places mentioned and have free videos of all except Boaracay. Let me know if you have any questions.Regards: Jim Sibbick

spike in cebu
Posted
Posted

Riding jeepneys takes some time to learn their routes,once you do they are great ways to get around,very cheap,but not comfortable.if i can i take people on a jeepney on my tours,it would be better to travel with a friend first few times,jeepney fare is usually a set price,mostly 8php here in cebu they are not like a bus you pay full fare if you go all the way or just 100 meters,if unsure ask a passenger,try to have coins ,if you hand over a note you might not get your change,the guy at the back usually understands english Trike have no set price they just make it up when they see your white face.they are also not allowed in Cebu city propper,ask his price,when he gives it tell him to much and turn away,9 times out of 10 the price will drop.it will still be too much but at least you had some sort of small victory If you need a tour of the city let me know SPIKE

Gidday and thanks for the welcome and the offer of assistance! - I only want to learn some for i guess my benefit cause I reckon if you go to another country its kinda neat to know a little of the National Language. There is pleanty i would like to know - especially when it comes to the tips and things to avoid being possibly taken for a ride (Ripped Off) - for example one thing is this. If travelling alone how easy or dififficult is it to communicate with the locals when trying to catch a Jeepney somewhere and how does a first timer know what Jeepney to catch? - How do you communicate with the fella that hangs off the back who shouts the instructions to the Driver? or is there a much safer alternative method of getting around on ones own? How do you you know what a fair charge is when catching a Jeepney or tricycle when alone - Regards Steve