How Safe Is Cagayan De Ono To Live For Expats

kalibojerry
Posted
Posted

Cagayan de ono  is it safe for expats to live there as what I am being told Pagadian is not the place to live for expats 

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Cagayan de ono  is it safe for expats to live there as what I am being told Pagadian is not the place to live for expats 

Please do not start topics in this questions and answers forum as it is for forum software problems.  Are you trying to reply to a post as it looks like a reply to another topic? if so you must reply in that topic.

If not you start the topic in the sections that suit what you asking. Moving topic to Life as an Expat

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well Kalibojerry,

Cagayan de Oro or Pagadian ?.

My wife tells me Pagadian is not the safest place for Foreigners to be.

Cagayan del Oro, Like any major town has it's problems, simply dont take chances.

We have a lot just outside Cagayan, but yet to decide whether  to build a retirement home.

Hope this helps, like any subject it's always best to research first, before making that vital decision.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=gagayan+de+ono&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=BsOjVNOJIYn6Usn-g8AL

Edited by Kuya John
  • Like 1

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

kalibojerry, just from my own experience, I have been all through Cagayan De "Oro" City in past years on a few occasions  (many rides on Jeepneys, frequent visits to the malls, markets, etc. I never had any problem there and people were generally very friendly. It's called "The City of Golden Friendship" and my stays there more or less confirmed that.

The mayor (according to an ex GF of mine), has stated to the small muslim community to keep peace and you can do business here with no issues. They  are peaceful-and there's very little crime among the general population.

robert k
Posted
Posted

Rather than make 2 posts, I will discuss what I am told about Pagadian and CDO. CDO is fine in the city and surrounds but you may not want to wander far away and stay in one spot for a long time or make a large investment in house and land in a rural area. I have heard of one couple who did buy and build, they were scared away leaving land and home.

Pagadian I am told, by a few accounts is not the place for foreigners, possible to visit but keep a low profile and don't advertise where you are going to be and don't stay long. Everyone you are likely to meet on the street will most likely be very nice. The tricycles are small.

I don't know what people are hoping to find on Mindanao that they can't find elsewhere in the Philippines, except close proximity to family. Family of the significant other can be great, very helpful. What happens if you get on the bad side of one family member though? I think the greatest part of Mindanao is less lawful than the generally not well regulated Philippines, if you catch my drift?

If I did not believe what I just wrote, I would be on the ferry as soon as my lease was up here. Mindanao must have some of the most beautiful land on God's green earth.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
rfhypnos
Posted
Posted

With the recent carnage in Mindanao I wonder how safe it is anywhere down there.  I have been watching the Philippine news and notice how much resentment and suspicion there is regarding American involvement in the chasing of terrorists in the country.  I had always assumed all of our special forces were out of the country, but many citizens here have a different take on that.  If in fact there was an American drone, where was it launched from and how often are they being utilized to keep SAF informed about movements and strength of BIFF or MILF?

sjp52
Posted
Posted

Been in CDO for 5 years. Safe as any where in the Philippines.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
With the recent carnage in Mindanao I wonder how safe it is anywhere down there. 

I think a lot of it depends on what you call being safe.

jpbago
Posted
Posted

With the recent carnage in Mindanao I wonder how safe it is anywhere down there.  I have been watching the Philippine news and notice how much resentment and suspicion there is regarding American involvement in the chasing of terrorists in the country.  I had always assumed all of our special forces were out of the country, but many citizens here have a different take on that.  If in fact there was an American drone, where was it launched from and how often are they being utilized to keep SAF informed about movements and strength of BIFF or MILF?

Here are 2 articles regarding US drones in and around Mamasampano:

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/672747/drones-seen-hovering-over-mamasapano-a-week-before-tragic-clash-says-member-of-probe-team

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/671237/us-drone-watched-mamasapano-debacle

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Rather than make 2 posts, I will discuss what I am told about Pagadian and CDO. CDO is fine in the city and surrounds but you may not want to wander far away and stay in one spot for a long time or make a large investment in house and land in a rural area. I have heard of one couple who did buy and build, they were scared away leaving land and home.
Perhaps you mean the couple, who were scared away from the neighbour province to CDO  =Bukidnon.  At least in south half of Bukidnon, up to Valencia,  are muslim guerilla.  Unclear if the armed visitiors belonged to them or not.

In the mountains NE of CDO are NPA (=communist) guerilla, but as far as I know they haven't been any danger to common people (except if ending up in crossfire when NPA attack police/military.

In CDO I have heared of only one foreigner being killed diring the last years.  It was in a carjack, or something looking like that.

With the recent carnage in Mindanao I wonder how safe it is anywhere down there.
I don't want to go to the south and southwest parts of MINDANAO, but that's not so close to CDO.

In the WEST half at the Iligan side of the mountains WEST of CDO there WERE some muslim guerila activitity a long time ago. I haven't heared of any during the last years.