Electric Fryer

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

Have a problem, I bought a deep fryer with me on my last visit back to my home country, it is 240volt but it has a 3 pin plug to power it, with one for an earth. In Oz some appliances which use lots of electricity are fitted with an earth to make them safer. Can anyone tell me or know of something I can buy so I can use this, the electric outlets here are only fitted with two prong so my cooker can't earth so it won't work. Help

MikeB
Posted
Posted

You can buy a universal adapter that will fit any plug at any hardware store, they're about p50.

• Like 2

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

Yes I have those plugs, but the appliance is earthed with a three pin plug, in Oz all power outlets are three pinned and earthed, I put the plug into the adaptor but with it not being earthed it won't work.

lyno 47
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi Chris If you have A/c where you are, the outlet that the a/c is pluged into is a Philippine 3 pin plug and they should be earthed at least they are in the condo I live in as I gave the sparky a hand to install the split system I just had installed . 

I know it may be a pain to run a lead but other than that you are looking at getting a 3pin type socket installed.

cheers mate.

Edited by lyno 47
  • Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

You mean it actually checks for a ground to work?  That is unusual.  Generally you can use the 3 prong/2 prong adapter and it ignores the ground prong. A lot of people in the US just cut off the ground prong.   Must be a safely circuit in it... not a bad idea... just not normal (in the US anyway)

• Like 1

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

Hi Chris If you have A/c where you are, the outlet that the a/c is pluged into is a Philippine 3 pin plug and they should be earthed at least they are in the condo I live in as I gave the sparky a hand to install the split system I just had installed . 

I know it may be a pain to run a lead but other than that you are looking at getting a 3pin type socket installed.

cheers mate.

Thanks Lyno, never thought of that, don't have aircon but do have the outlets upstairs in the b/rooms, so will give it a try. :1 (103): Haha, didn't check when I bought it, dumb me. :bash:

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

You mean it actually checks for a ground to work?  That is unusual.  Generally you can use the 3 prong/2 prong adapter and it ignores the ground prong. A lot of people in the US just cut off the ground prong.   Must be a safely circuit in it... not a bad idea... just not normal (in the US anyway)

Yeah Tim, it says on instructions when I opened the box, UNIT MUST BE EARTHED. In Oz all power points are 3 pinned, 1 for active,1 neutral, 1 earth, while must appliances you buy only have a 2 pin plug, some have a 3 pin,must be earthed,always for safety reason. I didn't realise till I opened the box and try to plug it in

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
UNIT MUST BE EARTHED

There must be a 'work around' because the Inverter type aircon I just had installed had the same problem.  The electricity supply has no 'earth' wire and I had problems as the 'unit must be grounded'.   Somehow the technician 'fixed' it so it works anyway.

• Like 1

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

UNIT MUST BE EARTHED

There must be a 'work around' because the Inverter type aircon I just had installed had the same problem.  The electricity supply has no 'earth' wire and I had problems as the 'unit must be grounded'.   Somehow the technician 'fixed' it so it works anyway.

Thanks Dave for that, will see if I can find a sparkie here that knows how to do a fix,should have checked before I bought the thing, but didn't know until I opened the box :hystery:

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

Another possibility is part of the controller runs on 110v and it uses the 3 phase setup. 110+110+neutral. Can't swear to it but maybe?

• Like 1