Colonoscopy Anyone?

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Does anyone know the price for a colonoscopy or sigmoidoscopy in a Philippine hospital? While the procedure is covered under my Kaiser Permanente Senior Advantage plan, getting an appointment is difficult. The waiting period is about five months. I thought of getting it done during a Philippine visit.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

BIL had one a couple months ago at Cebu Doctor's Hospital for almost p11k, Philhealth paid about 5 of that. The public hospital quoted him p5k. He was also given an option of having a "training" doctor do the procedure for a discount but passed. The good hospitals in Manila will be much more I'm sure. There was no wait, he had it done almost immediately. A 5 months waiting period for a medical procedure is kind of ridiculous don't you think?

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I had one done in Sibulan Medical Centre Hospital in October for about 10K pesos but I was already a patient so that might have bearing on the price.  I even got a video of the procedure on disc.  Not sure why.

One interesting thing to note.  If they find anything during the colonoscopy they DO NOT take any action (like cutting off polyps).  When you wake up they tell you what they found and you have to sign for them to go in again and take appropriate action.

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Does anyone know the price for a colonoscopy or sigmoidoscopy in a Philippine hospital? While the procedure is covered under my Kaiser Permanente Senior Advantage plan, getting an appointment is difficult. The waiting period is about five months. I thought of getting it done during a Philippine visit.

Insurance which resulted in long waiting periods on the order of months for medical procedures would be unacceptable for me.

jpbago
Posted
Posted
 I even got a video of the procedure on disc.

Downloading late night movies and then this video. It makes me wonder about you.

On a serious note, a colonoscopy is an operation not to be taken lightly. You will be in deep sh&t if the colon gets ruptured.

Spell check redlined colonoscopy, wanted to change it to endoscopy.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the information. My wife and I are currently in Honolulu to visit our son and daughter-in-law, and for our annual health tune-up. We made all the doctor appointments about a month ago. Unfortunately, the Gastroenterology Department is down a couple of doctors so they are backed-up. Rather than scheduling an appointment and returning to Honolulu, I thought of getting the procedure done in Manila. The 2nd trip tickets to Hawaii would be around $500 each. It would be cheaper to practice medical tourism and get the colonoscopy done whilie visiting the Philippines.

JJR

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted
Unfortunately, the Gastroenterology Department is down a couple of doctors so they are backed-up

It is not good when the gastro dept gets backed up!

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

It is not good when the gastro dept gets backed up!

Thanks. I originally intended to add in parenthesis after backed up (no pun intended), but wasn't sure if it was going to be understood.

• Like 2