Tmobile In The Philippines?

John Michael Kane
Posted
Posted

I have a T-Mobile Simple Choice plan which supposedly offers 2G data and texting at no additional charge while in the Philippines and apparently according to the coverage map, they look fine in the metro area of Manila where I'm staying:

http://www.t-mobile.com/optional-services/international.html

Has anyone here used a Tmobile phone/plan in the Philippines? How was the coverage? Was there anything I should be aware of in case I take my Samsung Note 3 there? Any issues?

Thanks for any help you can shed!

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I was just reading on another forum that someone with T Mobile was having trouble in areas outside the main metropolitain areas like Cebu and Manila.  But he said it was fine in the city.

is it unlocked?  It is cheap and easy to replace the sim to a local one.  Probably cheaper to call back to the US with a Sun sim than to use your T Mobile.

John Michael Kane
Posted
Posted

Well, I have a family plan through Tmobile, and don't want to break up the plan if I don't have too. Also, I'd prefer to keep my US number intact and not just have a local one in the PH. The phone itself I believe is unlocked.

jon1
Posted
Posted

Just swap out the TMobile SIM Card with a local after you arrive. If it does not work, depending on the make/model of the phone it should be able to be unlocked...

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Well, I have a family plan through Tmobile, and don't want to break up the plan if I don't have too. Also, I'd prefer to keep my US number intact and not just have a local one in the PH. The phone itself I believe is unlocked.

You should also look into the possibility of buying after arrival an inexpensive Nokia phone with a local SIM and purchasing "load" as you need it. My wife and I donate the phones to a charity prior to our departure.

We tried exchanging SIM cards on our T-Mobile phones. There were problems. Our service is now with AT&T, but I don't think my wife can convert to a local SIM card because she uses an iPhone.