Water Tanks

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I cant understand why the Philippines with its high rainfall rely so much on wells and bores for water,in Australia almost every home has a rain water tank for catching water from the roof of the house or sheds.In the country areas this may be the only water supply they have except for a dam.Rainwater tanks these days are mostly made from a polyethylene plastic,corrugated iron tanks are still made and now come in many colors. Anyway I believe that a tank would be cheaper than a bore plus with rain water there is not the problem of salt which comes with ground water.Many years ago I worked for a company building portable concrete tanks,our foreman was asked by some group to go to Africa to teach them how to build these tanks which he did.Maybe thats an idea,I can teach the Filipinos how to build portable concrete tanks!post-1-1247222975_thumb.jpg post-1-1247223082_thumb.jpg post-1-1247223718_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

TheMason
Posted
Posted

I've often wondered the same thing. The municipal water system in Baguio doesn't cover the entire city so most homes have water tanks, but everyone pays the water truck to come fill it up for them, they don't catch the rainwater. When I asked why they don't recycle rain water I was told that water filtration systems were more expensive than having filtered water delivered. I've never looked into the price of a good water filtration system here, but I'd think it would be cheaper than monthly water delivery bills.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I would think that with all the pollution in the Philippines, that one would need a very good filter to clean up the rain water that was brought down off the roof and into the catch area. I know our patio gets pretty dirty when we are not there, so roofs and gutters of houses must be really filthy and the pollution from the burning of garbage, plastics and tires must be toxic.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I would think that with all the pollution in the Philippines, that one would need a very good filter to clean up the rain water that was brought down off the roof and into the catch area. I know our patio gets pretty dirty when we are not there, so roofs and gutters of houses must be really filthy and the pollution from the burning of garbage, plastics and tires must be toxic.
I certainly would not use a tank in the city buy other areas should be OK. Here in the country areas most would not have a filtration system attached to their tanks. Been no problem for a few hundred years. :thats-funny:

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I've often wondered the same thing. The municipal water system in Baguio doesn't cover the entire city so most homes have water tanks, but everyone pays the water truck to come fill it up for them, they don't catch the rainwater. When I asked why they don't recycle rain water I was told that water filtration systems were more expensive than having filtered water delivered. I've never looked into the price of a good water filtration system here, but I'd think it would be cheaper than monthly water delivery bills.
I don't know the costs either but if the water from the roof was just used for bathing or washing clothes, I don't think it would need to be filtered unless the roof that catches it is in a populated area where problems might occur from toxic substances resting on the roof.What happens to bore water,can sewage seep into the system, my guess is yes so perhaps people have a false security in thinking their water is safe to drink.Thinking some more,where doe's the water come from that they buy to fill their tanks? 36_1_58[1].gif