25 foreigners get permanent residency CEBU, Philippines

Bruce
Posted
Posted
25 foreigners get permanent residency CEBU, Philippines

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Curses! foiled again...... Please explain the 5 month rule that I heard about for employment. Seems that a substancial number of the work force gets menial jobs for 5 months at a time then move onto another job so the employer can avoid paying any benifits? If true, it must be a rather unsettling way to live.
I do not think it is a rule per say but it seems that most places of employment such as malls and stores, often hire people on a 5 month contract to see if they will be reliable and then the good ones are offered another 5 month contract and the not so good ones are let go. In the Philippines they have what is called a 13 month pay, so around Christmas, full time employees must be paid the 13 month pay, which is one full months pay as a sort of bonus and if they are only 5 month contract workers they do not qualify for the 13 months pay. Anyway that is what I know, maybe someone who is an employer can tell you more or describe it better.Yes Bruce I am sure it is a very hard way to live, not knowing if you will have a job after the 5 months contract. Also it seems that stores only hire young pretty girls for the most part, so older ladies and men find a harder time getting a job unless they have a specialty in their education and get lucky and find a job that will keep them forever. One more example of employers abusing workers in the Philippines, my wife and I have a young lady friend who is a relative of my wifes friend, and she works in a hotel, she must wear makeup or she would get fired, just one more rule that some employees find themselves facing.

mike
Posted
Posted
Curses! foiled again...... Please explain the 5 month rule that I heard about for employment. Seems that a substancial number of the work force gets menial jobs for 5 months at a time then move onto another job so the employer can avoid paying any benifits? If true, it must be a rather unsettling way to live.
I do not think it is a rule per say but it seems that most places of employment such as malls and stores, often hire people on a 5 month contract to see if they will be reliable and then the good ones are offered another 5 month contract and the not so good ones are let go. In the Philippines they have what is called a 13 month pay, so around Christmas, full time employees must be paid the 13 month pay, which is one full months pay as a sort of bonus and if they are only 5 month contract workers they do not qualify for the 13 months pay. Anyway that is what I know, maybe someone who is an employer can tell you more or describe it better.Yes Bruce I am sure it is a very hard way to live, not knowing if you will have a job after the 5 months contract. Also it seems that stores only hire young pretty girls for the most part, so older ladies and men find a harder time getting a job unless they have a specialty in their education and get lucky and find a job that will keep them forever. One more example of employers abusing workers in the Philippines, my wife and I have a young lady friend who is a relative of my wifes friend, and she works in a hotel, she must wear makeup or she would get fired, just one more rule that some employees find themselves facing.
yes the 5 month rule is the dumbest yet and it promotes abuse. :AddEmoticons04230: This is a temporary contract, the employer is still obliged to cover SSS and Phil health and pro rata 13 month pay. Most employers dream up a cost of employment scheme like uniforms which they off set against the 13 month pay obligation. :SugarwareZ-034: If you extend the temporary contract the employee is deemed as permanent. There must be a clear 6 month break before rehiring for a further 5 month temporary contract. SugarwareZ-024.gif most businesses that are small and medium therefore have a spine of max 9 full time employees, all others are temporary or self employed contractural. :th_interesting: m