Wireless Cybercriminals Target Clueless Vacationers

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Wireless Cybercriminals Target Clueless Vacationershttp://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,531380...html?test=faces The newest trend in Internet fraud is "vacation hacking," a sinister sort of tourist trap. Cybercriminals are targeting travelers by creating phony WiFi hot spots in airports, in hotels, and even aboard airliners.Vacationers on their way to fun in the sun, or already there, think they're using designated Wi-Fi access points. But instead, they're signing on to fraudulent networks and hand-delivering everything on their laptops to the crooks."More and more people are traveling with Wi-Fi devices like Smartphones and laptops," says Marian Merritt, Internet safety advocate at the computer-security giant Symantec. "Airports and airlines and hotels are responding. They're setting up free Wi-Fi networks to lure in customers. Now they're luring in hackers as well."Does anyone know how to protect themselves and others when using an open router?

Mik
Posted
Posted

Maybe it's better to leave your laptop at home. You also have to worry about your computer being seized by TSA at the US port of entry. They can keep your laptop for hours or weeks and make copies of your files at will. The government is after your personal data just like the other criminals.

Guest OceanBreeze
Posted
Posted

Thanks for this important hints and reminder. I always use my Acer Aspire One netbook and Smart Bro Kit when travelling around in the Philippines. I need daily www access. Also when travelling abroad I usually use WiFi access points to be connected. After reading the articles I

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Just to let everyone know, Smart now makes a smaller usb device that I use and it works greats at p10 per half hour. Just be advised that they charge by the half hour based on the clock and not on the half hour and I believe that is also how it works when you use a phone to access the Internet because they charged me p20 when I went beyond 10 minutes on my Blackberry and the time clicked over the 12. 12 and 6 on the clock is what you have to watch for or I do a buddy balance on my phone and set the phone time for that and use my phone to tell me when to get online and not get charged the extra p10 for 5, 10, 15, 20, minutes. I like to get my moneys worth, yup I am cheap. SugarwareZ-005.gif

post-40-1247320496_thumb.png