Advice On Living In North Luzon

mogo51
Posted
Posted

seriously thinking of moving from Thailand to Philippines in the next 12 months.  My gf is from this area, but want to further north thiking Candon City, Vigan, LaoagCity.  Are there any members up that way that can pass on advice.

Although my gf knows these areas, she has never been there, she has also been out of the country for 6 years.  Seeking advice on cost of living, housing (furnished house or apartment), near the water and where there are good shopping facilities close by, good hospital etc. I also like to mix with other expats, is this possible up there.?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thomas
Posted
Posted

A Swede I knew chosed to settle in Laoag and start a Call Center there, but I have lost contact with him, so I can't ask him. I know nothing myself  :mocking:   except the Internet is rather good in Laoag, that's a reason he settled there.

Several prefer Bagio, because of the not so hot climate there.  (E g earthdome can tell you much more about that.)

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Best thing to do is take an extended vacation and spend at least a week in each area you are considering moving to. You really need boots on the ground to answer the questions you have. Of course those areas can still have a significant expat community. There are a few members of this forum living in northern luzon. I am the only active member and live in Baguio. There are alot of expats in Baguio but Baguio is starting to get too crowded with all the tourists. 1.5 million tourists visited Baguio over Christmas/New Years and traffic was so bad some roads were more like parking lots. Baguio has some good hospitals, good shopping and plenty of expats being a city of 400,000 population.