Does The Bad Actions Of One Filipino Reflect On All Filipinos

If one Filipino cheats us, does that mean they are all bad and will all cheat us?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever been cheated by a Filipino?

• If yes, does that mean all Filipinos will cheat you?
    • If yes, does that mean you now will treat all Filipinos as if they all will cheat you?

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I am trying to see if fair is fair. Just because one or more Filipinos may have cheated us or overcharged us, does that mean to anyone that they all are bad? It does seem that many Filipinos seem to think poorly of some foreigners because of the actions of other foreigners, so based on some of the posts I have read over the years, don't many of us act the same toward them?

TheMason
Posted
Posted (edited)
I am trying to see if fair is fair. Just because one or more Filipinos may have cheated us or overcharged us, does that mean to anyone that they all are bad? It does seem that many Filipinos seem to think poorly of some foreigners because of the actions of other foreigners, so based on some of the posts I have read over the years, don't many of us act the same toward them?
The issue of generalizing comes up a lot on forums. Personally, I don't have a problem with generalizations. I think people know that they don't apply to everyone. But having said that, I do use general perceptions of a group of people as a mental framework when dealing with individual members of that group. Do I think all Filipinos will cheat me? No, I don't. However, enough of them have done so over the years that now when I am conducting business here I am vigilant for this sort of behavior and fully expect them to attempt to cheat me. Some may interpret that as treating all Filipinos like cheats, but I look at it as simply learning from my past experiences. Given my experience and what I read from others, I'd be a fool to let down my guard to anyone that hasn't proven over time that they will deal with me honestly and equitably.Take the example of taxi drivers. Not all of them overcharge or pull shenanigans on you, but enough will that I treat them all as if they are crooked until they prove otherwise. I never get in a taxi until the driver agrees to charge me by the meter and we establish which route we will take to get to my destination. If it is at night, I text the taxi number and driver name to my wife before getting in, just in case he's going to set me up for robbery or abduction. Based on my personal experience and the experiences of others, you need to do those things to ensure you don't get cheated, or worse, by a taxi driver. This attitude of vigilance is not just for foreigners. FIlipinos do the same thing. All the safety precautions I take for getting a taxi were taught to me by Filipinos. When we buy ground meat at the market, the butcher weighs the meat, trims it, takes it to the back room to grind it, then comes back and gives it to you. My wife asks them to weigh it before and after grinding to ensure none accidentally got lost in the back room. We've been going to the same butcher for a year now, but she still asks them to weigh it twice every time we go. Is she treating the butcher as a cheat, or simply being a wise consumer? I think its the latter, and don't see anything wrong with doing that.The perception that many foreigners, myself included, have that Filipinos will cheat them is hard-earned based on personal experience and past history. I'm polite and respectful in my conversations and interactions with Filipinos but I do assume they are after something until proven otherwise. In my opinion, doing anything else is foolish and a good way to get yourself cheated, robbed, or killed.As to the Filipino attitude towards foreigners, I think that's been well-earned over time as well. There are so many drunken, arrogant, whoremongering foreigners in this country, can you really expect Filipinos to view us differently? Once you form friendships, they'll view you individually as a nice guy, but won't change their mind about foreigners in general. Edited by TheMason

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

OK, I guess this was out there long enough for me to make my point.I purposely posted this survey as a no win situation because I wanted people to think about what they or others have been saying and how so many of us seem to generalize. I have met so many wonderful Filipinos who have never tried to take advantage of me or my wife, not even once, so I try hard to balance those who do with those who don't. It is easy to fall into the trap of feeling that all or most Filipinos are out to cheat us because the bad ones always seem to stand out in our minds while the good ones easily fade away out of our memory. I feel that each person should be treated as if they will not cheat us until they prove otherwise to us, but yes we should still use common sense when dealing with anyone and make sure no one cheats us by taking precautions and IMO those precautions should be taken no matter what country we are in. Now, as to the going into the back room to package things we buy that theMason mentioned, only in the Philippines could they get away with doing that and I always wondered if they were helping themselves to a little cold cuts from each customer to make their lunch :kidding: or taking a taste of each because they could probably never afford to buy such expensive foods items on their own. :th_thimage_265775: So making them weigh it again is a great idea. :whistling:

jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have met so many Filipinos who will try to squeeze a few extra pesos out of me. I have encountered that in every country that I have ever traveled in or to. Some call that doing business or being an opportunist. I sold a TV once to a stranger once for $400, but I had offered it friends for $250. I guess that makes me a bad person., I could tell he would pay more than my poorer friends, and I did not mentioned the lower price.When I was in business I would offer a slightly higher price to a doctor, lawyer, or professional; than to an old lady on a fixed income. So I must be evil.I have met so many Filipinos who went out of their way to help me expecting nothing and excepting nothing for their troubles. So, where they evil too? After all they are Filipino and many will cheat you?I am American and I have people all the time offering me the special Kano price. They are just shrewd businessmen or opportunist. This makes them bad people? I also know that most times the price is credibly lower than back in the US, and that this is a poor country with high unemployment and few opportunities. So I will bicker over what is actually a dollar of two? That raises another question then about myself.Can a person be so obsessed with a hand full of pesos, who actually has so mush, that he risk being evil. If we have so much and are so worried about being cheated. We become cynical and stop being prudent negotiators and businessmen. We do not have to spend our monies, can we not go to the next merchant and purchase it from them. We can be observant and still be kind. You can control it with intellect, and simply say "Sorry, too much!" then go to another merchant. The lost of sale, and the simple explanation why they will not get your money, often is all the lesson a merchant needs. I can argue like a fool, or just smile and say no, then allow the merchant to observe that I purchased it from his competitor. I am not a fool and he lost the sale, next time you go to his shop he will act different, and if he does not than simply tell him he is just too expensive and you will not shop there anymore. I have 3 different merchants that have become good businesses, and I use them regularly. They just needed motivation training. They learn that if they are fair Kano buys, if they are unfair Kano buys elsewhere.

Edited by jamesmusslewhite