Balik Bayan And Acr Card

RonHenk
Posted
Posted

Can anyone tell me that if you enter the PI on a 1yr balik bayan visa, that you still have to get an ACR card for things such as a drivers license etc?"

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

The Balikbayan (one word) entry is a privilege, not a visa. There is no ACR.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

You do not need a ACR or 13a visa to get a drivers license. You can convert your current valid license to Philippine license at the local LTO. Supposedly there is a time limit but that depends on the mood of your local LTO (land traffic office). I converted mine with in 30 days of arrival with no problems at all.

the etc covers a lot of ground. you might need a ACR or 13a to open a bank account and such but again that will vary from bank branch to bank branch.

• Like 4

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

Can anyone tell me that if you enter the PI on a 1yr balik bayan visa, that you still have to get an ACR card for things such as a drivers license etc?"

That would open up a few grey areas, if you are lucky enough to get the balikbayan visa, and maybe renew it each year.

Grey areas.

1. A Driver's LIcense: I think you could get one, showing your US License and paying the fee, about 800 as I recall.  I drove around in my own car for 4-5 years on my Aussie License. There is an allowance for you to drive here on your own country license, I think fore 30 days. But although I was stopped a few times for minor violations, they never quiestioned my use of the license. They didn't look for my passport to see how long I was here.

2. Violations: most of the time you pay the on the spot fine (pocket money) of about 200-300 and carry on. 

3. What else do you want to do?

4. I agree with Scott posted above me. A lot of this stuff is discretionary on the part of the bank manager etc, if they see you as a viable client with money coming in, they will assist you. Meet the manager and see what he says. They won't give you other privileges though, like financing, credit cards and checking account.

Edited by chris49
  • Like 3

jon1
Posted
Posted

As others have said, you can get a Philippines license without an ACR. Your US is good to drive on for 90 days. You can get by longer, if you do not have an accident and then you are screwed. The license is not a big deal to get. They make a copy of your US license and you pay some fees and you are done.

The ACR is typically needed 90% of the time for opening a bank account. Again your mileage may vary on the branch of the bank. Each branch acts independent of each other and the bank manager has discretion.

I have not met a banker that would refuse cash for deposit for a new account.

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
That would open up a few grey areas, if you are lucky enough to get the balikbayan visa, and maybe renew it each year.  

As Mike "B" has already said, the BB is a privilege not a visa. You get it by Entering the PI with your Wife (Husband)

It can't be renewed as such, both have to leave the PI and then return again Together.

JP :tiphat:

• Like 1