Kidney Cyst

keef
Posted
Posted

Does anyone have any idea of the costs to remove by laser treatment a kidney cyst.

My "sister-in-law" says the cost is around $2,000 USD which seems pretty excessive.

She has had it for a few years and been treating it with drugs but it has flared up recently and she is now in almost constant pain so Dr. advises removal is the only cure. 

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the Forum Keef,

Hope someone here can answer your question.

Depending where the operation is carried out, you mentioned Dollars, but I presume you are referring to Philippines, also note your location as South Korea.

Good luck with the answer's

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Not knowing what that is I Googled an, for the other uninformed I post it here:

Simple Kidney Cyst Treatment
If your cyst does not cause symptoms or complications, you do not need treatment. Your doctor may simply watch your cysts to make sure they don't cause any problems. However, in the rare case that you have symptoms, you may need treatment.

You may have a procedure that involves these steps:

A doctor punctures the cyst with a long needle inserted through the skin, using ultrasound for guidance.
The doctor drains (aspirates) the cyst and may then fill the empty pouch with a solution that contains alcohol; this causes the tissue to harden and lowers the chances of recurrence. Scarring down the space within the cyst is called sclerosis.
In some cases, a cyst will return and refill with fluid. Your doctor may recommend surgery that entails general anesthesia and a large incision. During the procedure, the surgeon would insert a thin, lighted viewing tube called a laparoscope and other instruments to drain the fluid from the cyst and remove or burn its outer wall to keep it from reforming.

You may need to stay in the hospital for one or two days following the surgery.

This does not say laser treatment but it describes treatment that includes a max 2 day stay in hospital.  If I was getting that treatment with a private room in a decent hospital I would be surprised if the bill surpassed 50K pesos and hope to get away with much less.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Adding a bit to this:

There is a great article about Renal Cysts (doctor speak) in the SunStar here:

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/davao/feature/2014/02/03/renal-cysts-326494

but it does not mention the cost.

There is a complete list of what PhilHealth pays for ALL procedures here:

http://www.philhealth.gov.ph/circulars/2013/annexes/circ35_2013/Annex6_ListOfProcedureCaseRatesForPrimaryCareFacilities.pdf

and it gives all the costs but you would have to know all the additional work required and drugs needed to add up the total cost.  After all the reading I still stand by my estimate of a maximum of 50,000 pesos and I have my doubts that total removal is actually required.  If there is a foreigner paying the bill the work that needs to be done often increases.

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I've heard of "removing" large kidney stones by laser but not a cyst...

keef
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the Forum Keef,

Hope someone here can answer your question.

Depending where the operation is carried out, you mentioned Dollars, but I presume you are referring to Philippines, also note your location as South Korea.

Good luck with the answer's

Thank you for the welcome

It looks like I am getting some very good and informative responses.

I believe the operation will be carried out in a hospital close to Manila. You are correct my location is currently South Korea but I intend to retire very soon in the Philippines with my girl friend. Its her sister who has the cyst. I shall be arriving in the Philippines on Saturday for a 10 day visit.  

keef
Posted
Posted (edited)

Not knowing what that is I Googled an, for the other uninformed I post it here:

Simple Kidney Cyst Treatment
If your cyst does not cause symptoms or complications, you do not need treatment. Your doctor may simply watch your cysts to make sure they don't cause any problems. However, in the rare case that you have symptoms, you may need treatment.

You may have a procedure that involves these steps:

A doctor punctures the cyst with a long needle inserted through the skin, using ultrasound for guidance.
The doctor drains (aspirates) the cyst and may then fill the empty pouch with a solution that contains alcohol; this causes the tissue to harden and lowers the chances of recurrence. Scarring down the space within the cyst is called sclerosis.
In some cases, a cyst will return and refill with fluid. Your doctor may recommend surgery that entails general anesthesia and a large incision. During the procedure, the surgeon would insert a thin, lighted viewing tube called a laparoscope and other instruments to drain the fluid from the cyst and remove or burn its outer wall to keep it from reforming.

You may need to stay in the hospital for one or two days following the surgery.

This does not say laser treatment but it describes treatment that includes a max 2 day stay in hospital.  If I was getting that treatment with a private room in a decent hospital I would be surprised if the bill surpassed 50K pesos and hope to get away with much less.

Dave, Yes you are very correct. I believe it is a "Simple Cyst" and the "burning" possibly means laser surgery. I was initially told and agreed to pay $500 USD but then the next day after my sister in law went to the hospital the estimated bill has now jumped to $2,000 USD.  

Edited by Dave Hounddriver

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Its her sister who has the cyst. I shall be arriving in the Philippines on Saturday for a 10 day visit.  

Then ask her to get a detailed estimate of what this will cost in writing and then perhaps a second opinion. If the procedure goes ahead there should be an itemised bill so tell her you will only be paying what's on the bill once you see it and won't be giving any money to her directly and see what is said. 

• Like 1

keef
Posted
Posted

Its her sister who has the cyst. I shall be arriving in the Philippines on Saturday for a 10 day visit.  

Then ask her to get a detailed estimate of what this will cost in writing and then perhaps a second opinion. If the procedure goes ahead there should be an itemised bill so tell her you will only be paying what's on the bill once you see it and won't be giving any money to her directly and see what is said. 

Yes, I must admit it was a thought but I could not figure out how to ask for the detailed estimate without casting too many doubts about my motive amongst the family...... anyway figured out in the end to accuse the hospital of mis-quoting verbally. She is actually under the National Kidney and Transplant Institute, Quezon City so I assume they know what they are talking about. Thanks very much for your help. I was hoping maybe someone had had a similar experience and could offer actual costs.