Car Rental - Manila

keef
Posted
Posted

Anyone know of decent car rental company in Manila ?

I am looking for self drive Honda Civic (automatic) or equivalent to rent for about 10 days from 28th March till 7th April.

Pick up/drop off  at NAIA Term 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

You can try Avis rent a car       

http://www.avis.com.ph/module.php?LM=stations&id=1221127711638&pid=1219218469181&pid=1219218469181

Believe it or not, the Philippines has running water, electricity (most of the time) and flushing toilets, just bring your own toilet paper :hystery: .

All kidding aside, enjoy your stay :cheersty:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I have never been to Manila.  I have heard from friends that the traffic is so congested that I would never dream of renting a car there.  But I have a question for those that have:

There is a plan in Manila where you can only drive on certain days depending on the number on your license plate.  Is a rental car exempt? 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
Is a rental car exempt?

Boy that's a great question, ill ask the barangay traffic chief tommarrow, but my gut feeling is yes. It is my understanding that jeepneys, taxis and buses are "coded" so I bet rentals are also

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

Where are you going to park your rental? Luxury hotels charge a lot of money. Some condos don't have stalls. You may not be able to park on the streets during business or personal appointments or overnight.

My suggestion is to hire a car & driver. Companies like Avis offer this service. If you prefer lower prices, try hiring a taxi with an honest driver or a private car with a driver/owner. Some members of this forum can give you names.

The system is the driver takes you to your destination. Once you are done, a text message summons him to the entrance. He then takes you to the next destination. My wife and I did this last year for one month using a car and driver supplied by a close friend.

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted
I have never been to Manila.

Really! All these years here in the Philippines and never been to Manila. One lucky guy!

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
All these years here in the Philippines and never been to Manila.

I find it more relaxing and convenient to fly in and out of the country via Mactan or Clark so I suppose Clark/Angeles is the closest I have been to Manila and I have no desire to get a closer look.  If I was  one of them rich foreigners I might go there for the shopping, but I am not.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Talked to the head of traffic enforcers in our Baragay today (retired PNP officer so should be reliable) and yes rental cars are "coded" here in metro Manila. If you don't know that means depending of the last number of the license plate, on that day you are not allowed to drive the vehicle.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
depending of the last number of the license plate, on that day you are not allowed to drive the vehicle.

So you need to rent the car by the day and take it back for a different on the next day?

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

So you need to rent the car by the day and take it back for a different on the next day?

You have been here to long, now your even thinking like a Filipino lolol

• Like 2