Kahuna Beach Resort. La Union

Petey
Posted
Posted

I would like to bring this lovely resort to your attention.

http://kahunaresort.com/san-juan-la-union/

My wife daughter and myself had a 5 night break here last year. There was a promotion for the accomotation which really sweetened the deal.

If your an avid surfer ( which I'm not ) or someone who wants to learn the basics, maybe your a pool-bum ( like myself ) then this is the place for you.

We had booked a Standard Garden Room which was good for 2 people and asked to rent a cot ( around P1500) for our daughter who was 6. Around 7pm they delivered the cot and made it up for us. My daughter was so happy because the 2 male staff members made a bunny out of 2 towels and put her sunglasses on the face. The staff were really nice and we felt welcome there. What amazed us even more that on check -out we didn't even get charged for hiring the cot.

At the time of visiting Kahuna there was road maintainance going on, but once you drive into the resort it becomes a step away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. From inside the resort there is almost no sound of passing traffic, so at night it was almost silence. In the morning you dine in the open dining area which over looks the sea. Its beautiful. There are 4 breakfasts on offer : American. British. Filipino and Fruit platter.  Served with a lovely coffee or juice.

Taking a stroll over the sands was very nice. Of course there were people there trying to sell artwork to the tourists but they were not insistant or pushy which was really nice.

The pool was well maintained and clean, not over crowded either which i also enjoy.

We traveled to Vigan also... very nice place. Has an old Spanish settlement there which is well maintained. They offer horse drawn carrage rides around the sight seeing areas. They will also wait for you - never pay up first... Thats a habit i got from living in Manila :hystery:

Its worth a long weekend at least, just keep your eyes open for special and have a nice relaxing time :thumbsup:

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I might be going up that way week after next.  Thanks for the tip!

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Thanks for sharing this.

• Like 1

bows00
Posted
Posted

Surfing school?? I'm interested. What is the easiest way to get there from Manila?

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

Surfing school?? I'm interested. What is the easiest way to get there from Manila?

Bus from Sampaloc or Cubao. Farinas bus would be virtually door to door. About 650 pesos one way. 6 hours, travel overnite.

Edited by chris49
  • Like 1

Petey
Posted
Posted

If its ok ill post a few pictures up. I'm no photographer and i tend to shoot what i like and sometimes what i don't like- but u give a fair comparison :thumbsup:

So as you walk through the garden this is what you see first. The Check-in desk it to the left ( out of shot ) and to the right is the Stoked Inc Surf Shop.

TIEsneg.jpg

This is the Garden that you have to walk through to get to the Check-in desk. As you can see there are many trees, plants and a wall that will deflect noise away from the resort - made so much difference in its design for noise reduction.

y1FlddX.jpg

The outside of our Standard Garden Room. The Room was completely detached from other units. Also fitted with air conditioning.

uNECltc.jpg

The La Union Surfshop. This was taken at about 7am, so not too many people about. The provide boards for hire - I'm sorry but i don't know the prices.

8rPgS5f.jpg

I'm a person that like a "true" representation of a place. I tried to take the same type of picture as the one hosted on their site with out all the glits and flair of photoshop.  The resort was having "some" maintenance done while we were there and some parts still needed attending to.  But this did not hinder nor take away the enjoyment and relaxing time we had  :thumbsup: 

xtysbIW.jpg

A shot form the open dining area. Overlooking the beach which was very peaceful.

l58fsP4.jpg

Fruit platter breakfast.

8htNQFq.jpg

If your a surfer or expecting Point Break waves - they are not here, maybe at another season? I'm not sure.

OkSep5V.jpg

uR85Bs5.jpg

And the little towel bunny.

5fq74Ua.jpg

Sorry for the long post and pictures. I have some pictures taken of Vigan while in La Union. I'll post them in another thread if people are interested.

Petey

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

Yeah, put 'em up. Im here close to Vigan.

Another forum member will visit me in a few days, you put up yours and we will post some back at you.

We have similar waves here, but unknown, uncharted. I have recently posted them on FB, but will put them here also.

Edited by chris49