Rebel Dead, 4 Soldiers Hurt In Davao City Clash

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)

I found this news item to be a bit unnerving as I believed the propaganda that there was no rebel activity in Davao.  http://www.sunstar.com.ph/davao/local-news/2015/04/26/rebel-dead-4-soldiers-hurt-davao-city-clash-404402

Rebel dead, 4 soldiers hurt in Davao City clash

AT LEAST three high-powered firearms and an unidentified cadaver of a New People's Army (NPA) member were recovered Sunday following an encounter between government troops and the rebels in Barangay Sibulan, Toril District, Davao City.

Philippine Army's 10th Infantry Division spokesperson Lieutenant Vergel Lacambra said members of the Army's 84th Infantry Battalion recovered two M16 rifles and another M16 rifle attached with a M203 grenade launcher at Sitio Pamara in Sibulan.

He said they have yet to identify the cadaver left by the communist rebels after the encounter, which took place around 8:20 a.m. Sunday while the troops were conducting security patrol in the area.

"The troops have been receiving reports about an armed men planning to extort in the area, thus the security patrol was alerted. The troops encountered around 30 communist rebels at Pamara. The firefight lasted for about 20 minutes," Lacambra said.

Four government soldiers were also wounded in the encounter. The victims are now at the Panacan Station Hospital in Felix Apolinario Naval Forces Eastern Mindanao Command, Camp Panacan, Davao City.

Major General Eduardo Ano, 10th Infantry Division commander, thanked some concerned residents for their support to the government troops.

"Rest assured that the 10th Infantry Division will always perform its mandate of protecting the communities from threats and other formed of violence perpetrated by the Communist Party of the Philippines or the New People's Army," he said.

A clash also ensued between government troops and NPA rebels at Sitio Salagunting in Barangay Fatima, Paquibato District, Davao City, on Saturday afternoon. No casualty was reported.

Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on April 27, 2015.
Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

It is time the military launched an all out assault on the insurgents. Before things get out of hand, Davao has

been tauted as a safe place. But this sort of ting is world wide.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

It is time the military launched an all out assault on the insurgents. Before things get out of hand, Davao has

been tauted as a safe place. But this sort of ting is world wide.

But which side are the bad guys... 

Have the government army forced away the PRIVATE army, which forced away a poor mountain tribe from their land to give space for the big mining company some northeast of Davao? :1 (72):   As far as I know the government HAVEN'T solved that!

In an other place the mayor's family just TOOK the land from a poor family  :bash:   knowing they can't afford/dare to fight it in court...

So not odd some poor Filipinos join NPA and try to fight for JUSTICE. Perhaps the leaders, but I bet a big part of the NPA low positioned SOLDIERS are NOT communists*.

*Compare:  Many in the opposition to the Chilenian military junta dictatorship, which was SUPPORTED by USA to kick out the DEMOCRATIC elected government  :bash:     were called "communists", but because many from the opposition - of them, who weren't MURDERED by the junta - fled to Sweden, and I got to know some of them, I know they DIDN'T have communist oppinions. Their oppinons were more RIGHT WING than the Center Party/Liberals (="Middle") in Sweden...  :mocking:

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted
I found this news item to be a bit unnerving as I believed the propaganda that there was no rebel activity in Davao.

I may be wrong but I believe both these areas are much closer to General Santos City (as in almost beside) than the actual city of Davao...

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I may be wrong but I believe both these areas are much closer to General Santos City (as in almost beside) than the actual city of Davao..

You are the one who lives there, but why does the article specify it is in Davao City?  Is the city that big?

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I may be wrong but I believe both these areas are much closer to General Santos City (as in almost beside) than the actual city of Davao..

You are the one who lives there, but why does the article specify it is in Davao City?  Is the city that big?

To give you an idea how large the city is, the Davao City website states "reputedly the largest city in the world"... So, yeah, a little bigger than, say, Iloilo? :D

I'm still trying to figure out where these places are... Google puts one as just outside GenSan and the other in the mountains near Bundok Apo... And, to make things even more confusing, places in Davao Del Sir are often reported as part of Davao City... Fun!

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Davao City website states "reputedly the largest city in the world".

Thanks, I did not know that.  They control a very large area but are not even in the top 10 in terms of area.  It seems they have an area of 2.444 sq km under city control and the top city, New York, has 8683 according to:

http://www.citymayors.com/statistics/largest-cities-area-125.html

Still, it is a ridiculously large area to claim in that location and obviously they cannot police it thoroughly.

virginprune
Posted
Posted

To give you an idea how large the city is, the Davao City website states "reputedly the largest city in the world"... So, yeah, a little bigger than, say, Iloilo? :D

I'm still trying to figure out where these places are... Google puts one as just outside GenSan and the other in the mountains near Bundok Apo... And, to make things even more confusing, places in Davao Del Sir are often reported as part of Davao City... Fun!

Just looked this up on google earth and Sibulan is on outskirts of Davao on the road to Digos City. That is a fair way from Gensan. I believe the nearest NPA to me is around the mines at T'Boli.

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

There is Davao City and then there is Davao Del Sur and then Davao del Norte. Toril happens to be just about 10 kilometers fom Davao City. 

This little shootout is not rare. It happens when you least expect it. Not long ago, some soldiers went to a convenience store in Toril and were ambushed by some 20 NPA. The Convenience store is about 500 meters from the soldiers sub station. some soldoers were wounded but none were killed. The attackers escaped.

The NPA is active in and around Davao extorting money from farmers and harassing soldiers. The Muslims want to live in Davao so you seldom read about any random acts of violence. The notorious Ampatuan Family has a lot of real estate property in Davao from Condos to expensive homes.

Thomas
Posted
Posted

To give you an idea how large the city is, the Davao City website states "reputedly the largest city in the world"...

Perhaps Davao is the bigest CITY

but Kiruna, Sweden, is the bigest TOWN   :lol:     (At least it was until Sweden redefined places, skiped "town" and "city", all to be different sized "kommun" instead.)   According to Wikipedia Kiruna is 20 551 sqkm, while Davao City is only 2444 sqkm.

There is Davao City and then there is Davao Del Sur and then Davao del Norte. Toril happens to be just about 10 kilometers fom Davao City.
Yes, Toril START around 10 km from Davao city edge, but Sibulan is the most far away part of Toril, so the road distance is over 20 km.