Quezon City Signed Into Law Regulating Child “Back Riders”

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Hope they enforce it and other areas follow the lead. I do understand the problems for families to transport children but at the same time shudder at the thought of something going wrong. 

QC bans small children as back riders of motorcycles

Quezon City Mayor Herbert Bautista recently signed into law a city ordinance regulating child “back riders” on motorcycles.

The said ordinance, which was approved last April 15, allows children as passengers on motorcycles only if they are:

*tall enough to reach the motorcycle's foot pegs while sitting down

*big enough to wrap his/her arms around the waist of the motorcycle driver

*wearing a protective helmet during while riding the motorcycle

The ordinance, introduced by Councilor Melencio "Bobby" Castelo Jr., mentioned a study conducted by Safe Kids Philippines, a non-government organization that works to prevent child injuries. The study said "at least 35,000 Filipino children are victims to road accidents each year" and that many of the children involved in accidents "are either disabled or killed."

At least one fatal road accident happened in the metro daily, with Quezon City accounting for the most number of fatal road accidents at 141. Both data were based on Metropolitan Manila Development Authority’s 2013 figures.

Anyone violating the ordinance will be fined P1,000 for the first offense, P2,000 for the second offense, and P5,000 for the third and succeeding offenses.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Sounds like a reasonable law to me.  I agree about the potential financial impact, but based on the description of "backrider", the parents should still be able to ride 3 on the bike with the child sandwiched between them.  Not ideal, but much safer than the little one falling off the back of the bike.  

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

A law that I would like to se enforced. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted (edited)

It would be nice to see ANY traffic law enforced :bash:  :1 (103):  :hystery:  :cheersty:

Edited by scott h
  • Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hope they enforce it and other areas follow the lead. I do understand the problems for families to transport children but at the same time shudder at the thought of something going wrong. 

QC bans small children as back riders of motorcycles

Quezon City Mayor Herbert Bautista recently signed into law a city ordinance regulating child “back riders” on motorcycles.

The said ordinance, which was approved last April 15, allows children as passengers on motorcycles only if they are:

How do the Police know if they are a multiple offender? Do they ask the rider and he offers the information

because he is a nice guy? I doubt whether they have a system that enters offences on the relevant drivers license?

Will that include when the Police apply immediate payment fines under the 'into pocket' lI put thisin the wr

Oops I put this in the wrong spot sorry.

*tall enough to reach the motorcycle's foot pegs while sitting down

*big enough to wrap his/her arms around the waist of the motorcycle driver

*wearing a protective helmet during while riding the motorcycle

The ordinance, introduced by Councilor Melencio "Bobby" Castelo Jr., mentioned a study conducted by Safe Kids Philippines, a non-government organization that works to prevent child injuries. The study said "at least 35,000 Filipino children are victims to road accidents each year" and that many of the children involved in accidents "are either disabled or killed."

At least one fatal road accident happened in the metro daily, with Quezon City accounting for the most number of fatal road accidents at 141. Both data were based on Metropolitan Manila Development Authority’s 2013 figures.

Anyone violating the ordinance will be fined P1,000 for the first offense, P2,000 for the second offense, and P5,000 for the third and succeeding offenses.

http://cnnphilippines.com/metro/2015/04/28/qc-approves-ordinance-regulating-motorcycle-backrides.html

Edited by mogo51
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
How do the Police know if they are a multiple offender? Do they ask the rider and he offers the information because he is a nice guy? I doubt whether they have a system that enters offences on the relevant drivers license?

You are right about the systems not being up to snuff, what happens is that the Traffic Enforcer will write a ticket, hand it to you and keep your license. You are told that you may pay your fine and get your license back in 3-4 days. (it takes that long for them to manually take care of the records etc.) Theoretically this removes the temptation of the traffic enforcer from "scamming you". So, if the system works correctly, you go back and get your license, pay your fine, get your license back and your on your merry way. You get caught again, you go back and they would then say "Mr. De La Cruz, this is your second offense, you owe P2,000 this time). etc. etc.

Now you might ask, what is to keep Mr. De La Cruz from just not going, getting his license and not paying. The answer is not a thing, Until he wants to buy a new car, get a business license, get government aid etc. One this the Filipino government is good at is black listing people :tiphat: .

As an additional comment, this is how the traffic fine system is actually supposed to work (I know for a fact, because I have gone through it). What really happens a lot of the time is.

Enforcer: Mr De la Cruz, you made an illegal lane change, give me your license, here is your ticket, you may pay your fine at the Barangay hall in 4 days.

Mr. DLC: Mr Enforcer, I am a very busy man, an don't want to be inconvenienced and fight the traffic and waste my time by going to the barangay hall. Why don't I just pay you the fine let me keep my license and we just forget the whole thing?

Enforcer: Well ok, guess we can :thumbsup: .

This is actually what happens a lot of the time and then Mr. DLC screams about corrupt enforcers, when he in fact is the one who corrupted the system.

Oh, my wife says De La Cruz, is like Smith just in case some didn't know.

• Like 1

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted (edited)

It would be nice to see ANY traffic law enforced :bash:  :1 (103):  :hystery:  :cheersty:

The only time they would be enforced is when a foreigner is involved. Then it is only to extract money.

Edited by Steve & Myrlita
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
The only time they would be enforced is when a foreigner is involved.

Not true, sorry Steve. Well not true in my experience anyway. Here in my Barangay, we have an enforcer known as the dragon lady. If a Jeepney gets slightly out of line she yanks out a baton, gives the hood a wack and makes them pull over, and writes them up. I have driven past this enforcer hundreds of times and I have never been pulled over by her.

In that vein, I personally have driven all over Metro Manila, driven down to Laguna, Cavite, Tagayatay, up to Bataan even out to Argao. I have driven on the toll roads, through Barangays, city streets and express ways. In all that time, I have only been flagged down twice. Once in Las Pinas because it was a Tuesday and my vehicle was "coded" and was not supposed to be on the roads that day. (my fault, they took my license and three days later I went down, paid the fine, got my license back and went on my way). The second time in downtown Manila. The wife said "No go that way!" and following instruction, I swerved across two lanes of traffic, at speed in full view of an enforcer who flagged me down. Like a fool I stopped. She took my license, then the wife got involved. After a discussion money changed hands, the license was returned and off we went. In the second case it was our choice (well the wife's but I have been married long enough to take the blame :thumbsup: ) to allow ourselves to be "exploited". We could have surrendered the license and returned latter but the wife didn't want the hassle.

Now these are just my personal first hand experiences. I personally have never been pulled over when I was not at fault. Perhaps it is different in other parts of the county, but I would be very interested if others have actually been singled out.

:cheersty:

• Like 2