Gawad Kalinga Founder, 'sexist' Speech Or Too Close To Home.....

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

This guy wins my approval. He kinda hits close to home for many of us here? All I can say is I've done my part!

Tony_Meloto_CNNPH.png

After getting flak for his alleged offensive speech at the University of Hawaii Center for Philippine Studies (UH-CPS) last month, Gawad Kalinga (GK) founder and philanthropist Tony Meloto on Tuesday (May 26) finally aired his side on the issue.

"It was a shock for me to hear about the negative report from University of Hawaii-Center for Philippine Studies (UH-CPS) 45 days after the event and this is the first time I've been called a 'sexist,' 'elitist,' and a person with 'colonial mentality,' which definitely I am not," said Meloto in an official statement posted on the GK site.

Meloto was referring  to comments made by the UH-CPS in a statement posted on its Facebook page on Saturday (May 23).

According to UH-CPS, Meloto was invited as a guest speaker during the university's 40th anniversary fiesta last April, when he allegedly gave a speech that did not sit well with audience members.

Meloto, who was given almost an hour and a half to address the academe, supposedly characterized the Philippines as "broken" and described Filipinos living in poverty as "hopeless and violent."

It didn't help when Meloto allegedly focused on the good work that GK has done throughout the years. He also promoted his family company, Human Nature.

"Many members of the audience found his ideas about economic development in the Philippines both condescending and self-serving," UH-CPS said.

What the university and its audience members found most disturbing and "deeply offensive," however, was Meloto's sexist statements — when he said that the country's "greatest asset" is its "beautiful women," and that "the nation can be advanced by using them (Filipino women) to attract the 'best and the brightest' men from the West."

According to Meloto, Filipino women could be used to encourage "men from the West" to "invest in the Philippines."

"Equally offensive, Mr. Meloto went on to share his view on the need for Filipino women and their white husbands to produce what Mr. Meloto (apparently humorously) called 'cappuccinos," UH-CPS said.

Opposing views
Meloto, meanwhile, said that perhaps some audience members simply did not appreciate his humor, or that they just plainly disagreed with his views.

"I am deeply pained to read and hear about all that has been written, especially after hundreds of speeches in the Philippines and abroad, and after caring for the poor every day, protecting women and children and promoting pride as a Filipino everywhere I go in the last 20 years," he said.

His Twitter account reflected his sentiments as well.

1st time to be called "sexist &elitist"after 20 yrs of honoring our women & caring for the poor,after hundreds of speeches here & abroad.

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted

I think he nailed it, Filipino women should and would be proud to be highly regarded and I o not see it as

racist in any way. He was merely stating the obvious but in a humOROUS manner. WHY IS THE WORLD SO TOUCHY

THESE DAYS.

cHILL OUT AND LOOSEN UP i SAY!

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Western concepts of political correctness have become so twisted that every time someone opens their mouth they bite their own ass.

If the audience only wants to hear people with their own point of view then why go to the event?  Is it no longer fashionable to actually learn something at a university?  The man should be proud to be called an elitist sexist because that is coming from pinko feminazis.

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted
According to Meloto, Filipino women could be used to encourage "men from the West" to "invest in the Philippines."
That was a part of one of my "business ideas"   :mocking:    

but I had to skip it, because Phils has included promoting such in the antitrafficing law!!!  :1 (103):

• Like 1