Drainage

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

It surprises me and frustrates me that filipinos think water is 'no big deal' so they can build their roofs right up to the property line and drain them onto your side.

This is fine in areas where there is lots of space but what about in a subdivision where everyone is at close quarters.  In the extreme, the poor homeowner will have 3 richer ones draining their runoff into his dirty kitchen area, and yet they all seem to just live with it.

Is this one of those things that I just have to learn to live with?  Anyone else have any problems with this?  Let me say it has not yet happened to me but the potential is there.  And in my subdivision I see it happening to others every day as people build up their properties, right up to the property line.

• Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Looks like I have a lot to look forward to when we move to Phils.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
Is this one of those things that I just have to learn to live with?

Pretty much yes I believe. My example:

Absentee landlord purchased a vacant "slot" between two other lots. On one side is a house, the other is a concrete pad that everyone uses for basketball/picnic area/party area/whatever area. The new owner put up a roof to turn the lot into a covered parking garage and the roof (no gutters or anything) now floods the multi use area when ever it rains.

When completed I saw the roof, commented to the neighbors. "that's going to flood this area when it rains". The response? A shrug, an ironic grin and "yes it is".

So trying to meld into the local environment...............since I never use the area that flood and I live up the street, my response is: A shrug and an ironic grin.

:cheersty:

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

It surprises me and frustrates me that filipinos think water is 'no big deal' so they can build their roofs right up to the property line and drain them onto your side.

This is fine in areas where there is lots of space but what about in a subdivision where everyone is at close quarters.  In the extreme, the poor homeowner will have 3 richer ones draining their runoff into his dirty kitchen area, and yet they all seem to just live with it.

Is this one of those things that I just have to learn to live with?  Anyone else have any problems with this?  Let me say it has not yet happened to me but the potential is there.  And in my subdivision I see it happening to others every day as people build up their properties, right up to the property line.

I have seen WORSE.

A house needed total renovation, because one neighbour had drainage to the roof of this house, which COULD have been ok, but the water had nowhere to go except into the damaged house, because an other neighbour had built a HIGHER WALL DIRECT connected to the ment to be poring off side of the roof  !!! :bash: :1 (103):

I told the contractor, who I know a bit, that's why I saw the problem when I were shown where they worked, this problem has to be solved BEFORE they do more than the concrete part of the renovation. I hope he understood and solved it...

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Just extend your roof to catch his run off and divert it back into his yard ha ha   :tiphat:

• Like 3

RBM
Posted
Posted

Tell them fit a guttering!!

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I wonder sometimes if they understand what it does to their houses with no Gutters.post-2148-0-89193000-1435306775.jpgpost-2148-0-06171500-1435307036_thumb.jppost-2148-0-82659100-1435307146_thumb.jp

JP

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

My wife and I want to put in gutters with rain barrels.  We can use the water to water plants, and emergency cr use ha ha  (she also says good for laundry)  :tiphat:

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I have found that I get a dumb stubborn look and a voice response of "You can't tell me what to do, I paid for this house and lot".  This is happening in a subdivision and even the developers and home owners association have no teeth to enforce the common sense rules.

Just extend your roof to catch his run off and divert it back into his yard ha ha

It would be a good idea but they have no yard.  They build the entire size of the lot and that is why the runoff goes onto the neighbor's lot unless he too builds up his wall.  When both build a wall of the same size you get the problem JP mentions

I wonder sometimes if they understand what it does to their houses with no Gutters

My plan is to build drainage to handle the runoff from all houses draining onto our plot as well as our own run off.  I just don't like that they can dump their responsibilities onto the neighbors.  But it seems I just have to grin and bear it.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

After reading this thread yesterday, I started looking at the houses in my subdivision... Around 95% have gutters. I then had to go up to CenterPoint Mall in Matina to pick up my pension... Maybe 5% have gutters... I guess it all depends on where you live! :D

• Like 2