2.5 Month Manila Stay

ILChamp0306
Posted
Posted

Hey all,

Finally made the move and booked the flight over! I'm planning on an initial stay of about 9 weeks with the majority of time spent in Manila but also some trips elsewhere. 

I've read a decent amount throughout the forums and done a lot of research but wanted to get some advice. I'm going to live in either the Fort or a central area of Makati and want to try to keep rent under 50k PHP. Reliable internet (for the Philippines) is top priority, along with a nice building in a good area.

Would you:

1) Rent through airbnb. I can get some decent places at a monthly rate. My hesitation is that I would have to book/pay prior to coming here and am concerned internet might be slow or might prefer something else upon arrival. Also have to imagine they're marking up the price a decent amount.

2) Book hotels and move around. I'm not opposed to this, as it gives me more flexibility when I travel outside of Manila. Probably prefer a base though to keep my stuff and have a kitchen, etc.

3) Book something for the first week and then look at places when I get here - direct through a leasing agent. I think I get the best price doing it this way and have the benefit of seeing the place/area before committing. Downside is short lease might eliminate me for some options and the hassle of utilities/security deposit.

What would you recommend? Is the third option feasible for such a short time? If so, any recommendations to make sure I get a good deal?

Really appreciate the help and hopefully can meet some of the posters when I arrive!

Dan

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

For 9 weeks I would go for option 2. Most landlords don`t like short term leases.

• Like 1

russellmania
Posted
Posted

I also looked at booking my stay with AirBnB but after they ADD their service fees to monthly stays the price gets crazy!  Only short 2 to 4 day stays with AirBnB for me.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

For 9 weeks why not look at Novo Hotels at about 800 a night. this gives you about 24.000 a month and you could get discount . Also there are many all over the PI if you want to travel.

Link for the OP to Look at.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1GIWA_enPH638PH638&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=novo+hotels+in+Manila

Clean and Tidy with no Fuss.

JP :tiphat:

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Or you could click the banner the Boss has to access a hotel booking site and help out with keeping this forum financially viable at the same time!

• Like 3

chris49
Posted
Posted

I don't like 3.

Moving around the Metro Area could be very time consuming, waste of time and money.

The Novo option, 800, sounds good.

I still go with Sogo, about 1200, very good Wi Fi, Air Con, hot water, cable, some discounts apply over one month and some promo rates will apply. But Sogo branches are well located, walk to everywhere, so cut that cost.

View the branches on line. For you, Malate or Recto would be the go.

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

I don't like 3.

Moving around the Metro Area could be very time consuming, waste of time and money.

The Novo option, 800, sounds good.

I still go with Sogo, about 1200, very good Wi Fi, Air Con, hot water, cable, some discounts apply over one month and some promo rates will apply. But Sogo branches are well located, walk to everywhere, so cut that cost.

View the branches on line. For you, Malate or Recto would be the go.

I agree with Chris.

SOGO is affordable and clean. They are conveniently located and any taxi can find the nearest one for you.

I stayed in one near Mall of Asia.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Petey
Posted
Posted

Novo and Microtel are worth looking at. Clean and affordable. This is the option i would take.

SOGO does have a bit of a bad reputation as its used for "Ladies of the night". As does Mariposa. But if you dont mind being in that enviroment then thats cool. Its also cheaper than most places. You get your basics and a hot shower.

I would advise against renting a place. You break that contract and they will have a lawyer on you like a ton of bricks.

• 3 weeks later...
riburn3
Posted
Posted

I would go with AirBnB.  Most renters offer steep monthly discounts, and it's been my experience in the Philippines that AirBnB owners will drop the rate even more if you message them before booking, letting them know your intentions.  I rent a condo I own in Cebu City with AirBnB and ALWAYS discount significantly when the renter is coming for an extended period.  Read interviews when booking, as most westerners comment on internet quality when they stay with AirBnB.

When I last stayed in Manila for a month, I rented through AirBnB, and even though we stayed in a few other places, I can't stress how convenient it was not have to constantly pack all my stuff jumping from place to place.  Having a home base with a kitchen was so convenient and allowed me to eat some meals in.  

If you want your total rent for 9 weeks to be under 50K, you are going to be hard pressed to find a quality situation in the locations you are looking for in most Philippine cities, let alone the capital region.  9 weeks in any major metro worldwide as a traveler for about $1k US is difficult to swing.  If you don't mind slumming it, your options are more open but I won't be of much help there.  If 50K is the per month cost, there are lots of great options in amazing locations for less than that amount on AirBnB where you will be very comfortable.  I wish you good luck, but that budget is going to be rough if that's for the whole visit.