B1/b2 Question

karlen
Posted
Posted

Hi everyone!

I'm in the process of getting a work visa to the US and there is a question on ds 160 which goes " do you have immediate relatives in the US?" On the side it notes that it includes spouse/fiance.

My husband has been in the phil for 3 years on a permanent resident visa. He works here too. I'm a little bit confused because some sites say i should answer yes, some i should answer no. Any of you helped out your wife in their b1 or b2 application? How did she answer this question?

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

Ask spouse. If "yes",   answer "yes".

Why not get a Spousal Visa and then get your Green Card when you arrive?  Then, get your Social Security card and you will be eligible to work in the USA.

Good Luck

• Like 1

karlen
Posted
Posted

Does spousal visa require that my hubby go back to the US and I have to maintain residence there too? :(

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

Does spousal visa require that my hubby go back to the US and I have to maintain residence there too? :(

He can apply here or there. You must remain in the PI until it is approved. If he applies here, he must be prepared to extend his visit via Bureau of Immigration.

If I were him, I would do it in the USA. You would be the one to do all the necessary securing of documents here from the different government bureaus.

Go to USA Immigration on the internet for all the information that you need. Do not rely on agencies. They will rip you off.

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

Karlen, for more information go to www.uscis.gov

chris49
Posted
Posted

Answer "Yes"

Citing the permanent address of your husband in the USA, or last known address.

Work visa or any kind of visa requires an interview. At the interview they will ask about this and you explain the situation.

earthdome
Posted
Posted

He can apply here or there. You must remain in the PI until it is approved. If he applies here, he must be prepared to extend his visit via Bureau of Immigration.

If I were him, I would do it in the USA. You would be the one to do all the necessary securing of documents here from the different government bureaus.

Go to USA Immigration on the internet for all the information that you need. Do not rely on agencies. They will rip you off.

As I mentioned in another thread it is MUCH MUCH faster to get a fiancee/spouse visa if you live in the Philippines to apply at the US Embassy in Manila. Only took us 3 months. We could have completed it in 2 months if we had been in a hurry. If you apply for this in the USA it will take 1-2 years to get approved. When we went to the US Embassy in Manila for the interview we talked to many couples where the husband had started the process in the USA. All of them had taken more than a year before getting to the final interview. Extending your husbands Philippines tourist visa is easy to do at any regional BI office so he can be here to apply for and help you obtain a USA spousal visa.

I agree. No need for an agency or lawyer. Another member on here was able to get a tourist visa for his spouse to visit the USA but only a few of those get approved.

Don't let us distract you from your original question regarding a B1/B2 work visa. If that is the best choice for you then go for it.

karlen
Posted
Posted

Thanks everyone for your responses! I appreciate it :)

• Like 1