‘I Refused To Pay Their Corruption Money’: Eanna Ó Cochláin

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

First I heard of this poor mans ordeal.

‘I refused to pay their corruption money’: Cork man Eanna Ó Cochláin

Cork man Eanna Ó Cochláin appeals to Irish people for help to turn over drug charge in Philippines

Eanna Ó Cochláin has spoken of his turmoil being ‘trapped’ in the Philippines after he was arrested for alleged possession of cannabis.

The 55-year-old recalled his ordeal to RTE Radio One host Brendan O’Connor.
In July 2013, the Corkonian was convicted of smuggling 0.38 grams of cannabis through Laoag International Airport.
The psychiatric nurse insists that the drug was planted on him by corrupt police officials.
“When I got to the airport, things seemed different. All the official were staring at me,” he recalled. “I was searched three times unlike everyone else. I had Old Holborn rolled cigarettes - hand rolled tobacco - with me, the guards were not familiar with it.”
Ó Cochláin was subsequently arrested and brought to the local police station where he was held for four hours. It is here he believes that his rollie cigarettes were switched to real marijuana joints.
eanna%202.jpg
Eanna and his wife
The married father believes that he was targeted because officials knew that both he and his family based in Cork had money.
“About two days later I was told if you don't pay up you will be found guilty. They were threatening to give me 25 years if I did not pay them around €7-10,000. I refused to pay their corruption money, because the problem is they can still lock me up even if I do pay.”
“I was brought up in an idealistic way in Ireland and I want to stick to my grounds,” he told host O’Connor. “If I pay, it’ll make every Irish citizen a target.”
Ó Cochláin pointed out that Philippines is the third most corrupt country in the world, according to the United Nations.
He was put through a trial in regional courts, where he says the video evidence which proved his innocence was ignored.
“I knew if I paid that, they’d still want more money and they’d still put you in jail. I also learned that my attorney had contacted my wife in London and asked her to pay 200,000 peso (around €4,000) and told her I’d be found not guilty if she did. She paid it, and I was still found guilty,” he said.
eanna.jpg
Eanna told O’Connor that corruption is well documented in Philippines. Over 65 percent of cases are resolved by payoffs, and he believes he will never get justice there through the legal system.
“It’s got too far, I've been here two years, the amount of money that would be in the appeals court, I couldn't afford it. We’re talking €20,000 because the higher up in the courts it goes, the higher the pay off..that’s how it goes here.”
“I’m waiting to get help from the Irish government, the Irish government needs to demand my appeal be resolved and a decision made.
“I have 27 years experience as a nurse, it’s ludicrous to think someone with six years education would step on an international flight with 0.38 grams of marijuana rolled up in joints. Outrageous.”
Eanna is urging the Irish people to sign his petition and put pressure on the Minister for Foreign Affairs Charlie Flanagan to do something to get him home.
“I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome. I’m 55 years old, there’s no way I’d survive prison. They’ve basically sentenced me to death for 0.38g of marijuana which they planted on me.”
“I’m personally in despair. I’ve missed my daughter’s music performances, the funerals of my mother, my brother, my sister and my best friend. I’ve no one backing me and I’ve no one with me as my poor wife is still in London.”
Visit www.bringeannahome.com or facebook.com/bringeannahome for more information about the case and the online petition.

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Lets hope he somehow finds justice.

• Like 3

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

RP was 5th or 6th most corrupted. I guess they graduated.

• Like 5

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Generally it is best just pay it and get out of jail... but that is a crap load of money they want!

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
convicted of smuggling 0.38 grams of cannabis

That's not even enough to make one decent joint  Something smells funny.

• Like 4

patmac
Posted
Posted

??? Every time i read an article like this , I have 2nd  thoughts about retiring in the Philippines . Can a thing like this  realy  happen ??  If so. How would they know he had 3 hand rolled cigarettes on his person. 

How would  the Police know he has money to extort , Did he run his mouth in the Bank ,Or do the Bank employees talk about expats with even a small savings account          How does a  retire guy  like me protect himself . Wear a hoodie to the MAC machine? .......Fake mustash dark glasses into the Bank. Or don't carry drug's to the Airport  !!!

After all 8 out of 10 druggies in the US, in the Federal Prison system ARE  INNOCENT !!!!  WE all know that's true  Don't WE.?

Please guy's explain this to me  Maybe he should not have carried  3 rolled joint's   :unsure: 

chris49
Posted
Posted

??? Every time i read an article like this , I have 2nd  thoughts about retiring in the Philippines . Can a thing like this  realy  happen ??  If so. How would they know he had 3 hand rolled cigarettes on his person. 

How would  the Police know he has money to extort , Did he run his mouth in the Bank ,Or do the Bank employees talk about expats with even a small savings account          How does a  retire guy  like me protect himself . Wear a hoodie to the MAC machine? .......Fake mustash dark glasses into the Bank. Or don't carry drug's to the Airport  !!!

After all 8 out of 10 druggies in the US, in the Federal Prison system ARE  INNOCENT !!!!  WE all know that's true  Don't WE.?

Please guy's explain this to me  Maybe he should not have carried  3 rolled joint's   :unsure: 

I take the article as 50% fabricated bullsh&t mixed with some truths about bribery and under the table money. I seriously doubt if the guy is innocent. Come on, they don't just grab people randomly at the airport.

I agree with everything you said, and now the guy is trying to create an international incident to get himself released scott free, If his embassy got involved it might work, but it's still fabricated bullsh&t.

• Like 4

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

While in the Navy I had a shipmate arrested for smoking a joint while walking down the street in Barrio.  After 1 day in jail (and missing ships movement..) the girl he was with admitted it was her pot and they let him go.... cause I mean who is stupid enough to walk down the street smoning a joint.....

.... of course he laughingly told me later he was smoking one ha ha.... but when they realized he had no money for a payoff they just let him go anyway.  It was a different world when the bases were open ha ha  :tiphat:

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

It was a different world when the bases were open ha ha 

Hmm can you see this sort of thing going back to the "Good Old Days?"

JP :tiphat:

• Like 1