The Look

Markham
Posted
Posted (edited)

If I'm pushing my 18 month old son in his pushchair in any Mall, you can guarantee it won't be long before we're surrounded by sales clerks smiling at me and giggling at him. It's actually rather unnerving especially as it does upset my wife who has been known to give over-effusive sales girls "the look".

I hope you don't mind Markham but I split this into a topic of its own its too good to be buried in the topic I started early this week....Old55

Edited by Old55
  • Like 4

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Ohhhhh..... That "LOOK" I know of what you speak.   :whistling:  :1 (72):  

I'm sure a few others here have seen that too, it kinda makes your blood run cold.

Will she cross her arms do that lips thing and start to tap her foot as well? 

Edited by Old55
  • Like 1

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

my wife just hugs me and calls me darling and then drags me away from the sales girls !!

mind you she insists we always enter SM Calamba from the main entrance and not the car park one where you have to walk through

the clothing dept to get into the main area where all the sales girls are !!  when i tell her I only agree to go to SM with her to buy clothes etc if we go through the car park entrance !! :thumbsup: but if I stop at the perfume counter she suddenly wants to stay a bit longer !!

Markham
Posted
Posted

You mean the "Olive Capp" pose where she's waiting for her husband, Andy, to return from the pub? Often has a rolling pin in her hand!

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

You mean the "Olive Capp" pose where she's waiting for her husband, Andy, to return from the pub? Often has a rolling pin in her hand!

mark, That was brilliant. acap3.jpg :hystery:

JP :)   :thumbsup:

• Like 2

afathertobe
Posted
Posted

Strangely when I walk around with my 2 y/o son I hardly ever get smiling faces from sales clerks, and I'd like to think we're a good-looking pair. Mostly sour faces and relatively cold, unfriendly service with few exceptions. The general public is a lot more friendly and we do get some comments I heard. That's in Manila, which admittedly is a lot different than the rest of the Phils. 

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

When our daughter Katy was a younger (now almost 17 months) her mom was very protective and some people got more than "The Look"!  The problem was that many people would want to touch or hold or even kiss Katy, and Abby (and I) were always having to fend them off.  You never know what germs might be lurking over here!

Now Katy has most of her vaccinations including a flu shot last week, so we are not quite as protective in that way.  She is also able to fend for herself much better because she can walk and run.  She is outgoing to a point, but if the sales girls start crowding in, she will run for cover between our legs!

Actually a lot of the sales girls (and boys) have known Katy for a long time now and recognize her.  It is very "small townish" here in SBFZ and they often comment on how she has grown, etc.  It does not seem as intrusive as it used to and we don't mind it so much any more.

On a side note, during the week our Harbor Point mall here is not crowded and it is a great place to let Katy run and play.  She enjoys seeing all the shops and sales people.  I have to watch her closely so she does not get arrested for shoplifting.  She does not quite understand the concept of paying for things!

• Like 1

MikeSwede
Posted
Posted

She does not quite understand the concept of paying for things!

She is your daughter, expect that to be an issue for another 16 years :)

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

She is your daughter, expect that to be an issue for another 16 years

Yeah and far beyond :mocking:

JP :tiphat:

chris49
Posted
Posted

Strangely when I walk around with my 2 y/o son I hardly ever get smiling faces from sales clerks, and I'd like to think we're a good-looking pair. Mostly sour faces and relatively cold, unfriendly service with few exceptions. The general public is a lot more friendly and we do get some comments I heard. That's in Manila, which admittedly is a lot different than the rest of the Phils.

Funny enough, I would say that some of major outlets, SM Sept Store, Robinsons, I think must issue intructions like, "don't distract the customer, don't overly interact with them"....note how they are programed to say "Hello Sir, Maam" but they do not interact much beyond that. They do not start interacting with kids because unless in the toys department. And an SM saleslady will not easily strike up a conversation. Yet in Mc Donalds they all know me and some address me and the kids by name. And in other smaller outlets the staff will converse freely, depends on the manager, sometimes the manager is between a few shops, not even present.

In a small market of small business holders, owner vendors, my daughter, also Caity, is like a living promo with her flowing curls, lightish hair yet speaks Ilocano. My son is younger but he gets the attention also.

• Like 1