Sm City Cebu Pioneers Mallwide Wifi Service

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Good news, free wifi at all SM malls, but how secure would that be to use? I also wonder if people leaving malls will be targeted for laptop theft? CEBU, Philippines - As the need for WiFi (Wireless Fidelity) facility has become one of the strongest demands for consumers today, SM City Cebu pioneers a mallwide free WiFi service in Cebu. Although, value-added services will be rolled out by the SM Mall Group in all its 36 shopping malls all over the country, Cebu is currently one of the 13 malls that are WiFi capable.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Good news, free wifi at all SM malls, but how secure would that be to use? I also wonder if people leaving malls will be targeted for laptop theft? CEBU, Philippines - As the need for WiFi (Wireless Fidelity) facility has become one of the strongest demands for consumers today, SM City Cebu pioneers a mallwide free WiFi service in Cebu. Although, value-added services will be rolled out by the SM Mall Group in all its 36 shopping malls all over the country, Cebu is currently one of the 13 malls that are WiFi capable."This is one of our value-added service offers for mall goers and shoppers," said Joanne A. Abrogar, operations manager for SM Cyberzone.With this free WiFi roll-out, SM Cebu expects to double its daily consumer traffic from an average of 100 thousand a day during weekdays, and 150 thousand on weekends.SM City Cebu, assistant mall manager Maria Teresa J. Mempin said that the entire mall will be having a free WiFi facility starting this week. Initially, the mall installed free wireless Internet connection at the Northwing area.Based on the performance of the SM malls that have been installed with this facility, consumer traffic have doubled, because of this value-added service, Abrogar said.Mempin said that SM Cebu expects the same performance, "hopefully, we will be able to attract more mall goers."SM has commissioned PhilCom, as its Internet provider on this mall-wide WiFi program, with 8mbps bandwidth that can accommodate 200 users simultaneously, without connection glitches.Although some Coffee Shops have installed their own WiFi facilities, prior to this introduction, Mempin said the mall has not received complaints from coffee shops, and even Internet Caf

andre007
Posted
Posted

Yes I agree. I don't recall much open seating at SM thats why I normally refuse to meet anybody there because we will end up at a coffee shop or somebody is getting a free meal courtesy of me. LOL I still think it's a great ideal to avail of technology.

samatm
Posted
Posted
http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?artic...bCategoryId=108
I would have thought that there would not be too many Filipinos with laptops to use this service.The problem I see is the food court seating could be filled by Internet users.Other than coffee shops I don't think there is much seating any where else unless thing have changed. :th_thholysheep:
Its mainly all the wifi ready cell phones that generate the traffic. but I've noticed a bunch of new netbooks out since last fall.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Yes I agree. I don't recall much open seating at SM thats why I normally refuse to meet anybody there because we will end up at a coffee shop or somebody is getting a free meal courtesy of me. LOL I still think it's a great ideal to avail of technology.
We have always found that the Jollibee near the entrance is always pretty empty and a good place to meet people and a free soda or coffee is not that bad to pay for IMO, yet I have to agree and there is not much seating now so I also wonder where they expect to put all those extra people. :th_thholysheep:

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?artic...bCategoryId=108
I would have thought that there would not be too many Filipinos with laptops to use this service.The problem I see is the food court seating could be filled by Internet users.Other than coffee shops I don't think there is much seating any where else unless thing have changed. :wt-hell:
Its mainly all the wifi ready cell phones that generate the traffic. but I've noticed a bunch of new netbooks out since last fall.
I guess that would be correct,I did not even think about the cell phones :th_thholysheep: