12-Month Multiple Entry 9(A) Tourist Visa - Proof Of Funds

frqflyer
Posted
Posted

I've seriously looked into moving to Thailand but am now considering the Philippines as a viable alternative, especially considering the more accommodating long stay visa options in the Philippines comparing to Thailand. The plan is to be based in the Philippines for up to a year, travelling in SE Asia in the mean time to see if we'd want to live in the Philippines for the longer term.  The multiple entry tourist visa for 12 months would be just ideal.  We can stay for up to 59 days at a time, travelling in SE Asia in between stays. 

I have just a quick question for those who have applied for the 12-month multiple entry tourist visa 9 (a) from the US.  For the proof of funds for the visa application, how much do you need to show in your bank statement?  I've googled around but saw no mention anywhere for this.  (For Thailand for example, the Portland, OR consulate stipulates only $480 per person for a mutiple entry tourist visa, which seems ridiculously low). 

Thanks in advance for chipping in.

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted (edited)

My advice was wrong so I deleted it. Thanks for correcting me.

Edited by Gratefuled

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

The 9a Visa mentioned here is quite a con Yes it is valid for one year but only 59 days from first entry. So where it says multi Entry it means you can go HK for a few days, KL for a few days but and don't you love those but's all this has to be done in 59 days from your first date of Entry. So what it is, is a 59 day visa with leave to come and go as you like within 59 days of your first Entry. After 59 days from the first day of Entry it will be Spent.

Now I am nor sure if you can Extend on this particular visa or if you have to Start all over again.

Where it says  12 months that is to say it is valid for use 12 months but it really is only a 59 day visa once you have Entered The PI on it.

Many I know have fallen Foul on this one and it really does need better explanation from the issuing office. In this instance I hazard an Embassy abroad. :)

JP :tiphat:

Morning all. :morning1:

ps. For me less hassle and lower cost to come on your passport and extened as most of us did/do

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

You are better off coming directly into the Philippines, getting your free 29 days on arrival. You better calculate in advance your travel because eg if you got your 30 day extension, up to 59 days, even if you stayed one extra day that would require a full extension just for the one day. And with penalty if you missed it.

My choice would be the 29 days with the extension to 6 months, bearing the cost. Trying to stay a little longer and go out anytime up to 6 months, without feeling any deadlines.

As far as the Philppines vs Thailand. I met people now and then ex pats who go around stating how they wished they had choosen Thailand, "but now it's too late they say". And when I was in Thailand 20 years ago there was always a group saying how they wished they weere in Philippines, even taking vacations there.

What I know, is that on a short stay either country is going to be much more expensive than on a stable long stay. I would get a condo for a year, even if I left it for short periods at least your belongings are secure, or an Apartelle on a monthly basis, very similar to what you find around Bangkok.

Like me. My wife might preclude this one, but I could do 7-10 days in Thailand right now. But I still choose to live in the Philippines, 100%. Dealing with Thais who struggle with English and pronunciation is like dealing with children, it gets tedious after a while.

Edited by chris49