Hong Kong Airport Hotels - Opinions

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I was not sure what forum to put this in, so here it is.

Some of you may have seen my posts about my Cebu Pacific Hong Kong flight cancellations.  I just got off the phone with them and I don't think I will be able to do a same day return to Clark.  I will need to stay overnight in Hong Kong and thus I have to find a hotel.  Looking for advice.

The purpose of the trip is only a visa run.  If I can do anything fun, that is secondary.  I wanted to do it on the cheap as we have other trips coming up, but they are after my visa expires.

I will arrive at 0855 Saturday and then depart Sunday morning at 0955, I think.  Last time I looked a few months ago, the hotel prices were really high.  Now I see on Agoda the Regal Airport Hotel for about $125.  That is more than my air ticket but what can I do.  I really don't want to be jumping on trains and / or taxis to get to other hotels that are much farther away, and cheaper.

As far as doing anything, I originally thought I might go to Disney, but now I might see about a city tour if the weather is good.  However, I will also be fine with hanging at the hotel all day and catching up on sleep, if nothing works out.

Any flaws in my plan or thoughts about the Regal?

(I have onward ticket(s) so no worries there)

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Now I see on Agoda the Regal Airport Hotel for about $125

That is a crazy GOOD price.  I have stayed there for double that price.  In fact I have paid almost that much for a scrumptious Wagu steak in their restaurant.  If you like to go in style, that's the way.  Even on my current budget I would stay there for that price.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Yes, I thought that everything (Marriot and Regal) out by the airport was +$200 when I looked a few months ago.  I better get it booked!  Marriot is now showing on Agoda at $174, I think.

That is a crazy GOOD price.  I have stayed there for double that price.  In fact I have paid almost that much for a scrumptious Wagu steak in their restaurant.  If you like to go in style, that's the way.  Even on my current budget I would stay there for that price.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the advice Dave!  I am booked there but it is non-refundable.  If Cebu Pacific messes with my ticket again, I am screwed!

Crocodile
Posted
Posted

Get a bus into TST or Central.  Much cheaper hotels in there and you get to do the HK-food-thing. The airport hotels are expensive and at US$125 it is a steal - they are normally double that!  There are plenty of average hotels in TST, Wan Chai and Causeway Bay for US$125 a night, normally.... plus you get to eat and drink cheaply.

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Get a bus into TST or Central.  Much cheaper hotels in there and you get to do the HK-food-thing. The airport hotels are expensive and at US$125 it is a steal - they are normally double that!  There are plenty of average hotels in TST, Wan Chai and Causeway Bay for US$125 a night, normally.... plus you get to eat and drink cheaply.

This is what I have done before when I went to HK.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

If the hotel was a lot higher I might have opted for that.  I'm only going to be there for the day and I really did not want to have to find my way to a hotel further away. so I'm glad the Regal price came down.  I wonder why?  And then back to the airport in the morning to catch the early return flight.  At the Regal I can walk back and forth to the airport.  BTW, after a 10% hotel tax the room was about $135 on Agoda.

I'll take the family next year for 3 or 4 days, and we will find a better location than the airport!

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

I always stay at the Mariners' Club; have not stayed anywhere else for many years now.

http://www.marinersclub.org.hk/room-rates.html

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

Sky City Marriott is where I stay when in Hong Kong. Shuttle to and from the airport but it's not cheap. Not all that expensive, either. Check it out online if interested.

• 2 weeks later...
northtoalaska
Posted
Posted

Hotel market in Hong Kong is very competitive. The price you got for an airport hotel was excellent. As others have said its normally about double that.

I usually stay at the Island Pacific. Fairly easy access. Take the train to Hong Kong station then a cab to the hotel. I forget, the train is about $12 one way and the cab ride is about $3. Its a nice neighborhood, away from the glitzy part of Hong Kong. 

I find Agoda is a very good booking agent to use. Their price match guarantee has worked very well for me. As long as the booking conditions are exactly the same they will match the price, even if it is their own. The last time I used them I booked a room at Island Pacific for $110/nt about three weeks out. The day before my stay Agoda has dropped the price to $80/nt. I applied and they met the new price.

You have already booked a great price for your needs. Congrats.

• Like 1