Bonamine Alternatives?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Some filipinas get motion sickness when travelling on the boats and buses here.  Until now, any girl I have traveled with has used Bonamine to alleviate the nausea associated with motion sickness. I buy it for them because it is cheap and easy to get in any pharmacy.

My gf now has used Bonamine a few times and still throws up every time we travel on buses and boats. She has tried adjusting the dose and schedule but nothing helps.  Maybe one of our nurse members or anyone with actual experience can suggest an alternative to Bonamine that is easily found in Philippines?

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

My wife and daughter suffer from this. So maybe we can get a bit of advice here.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Motion sickness from a bus is similar to on boats so these tips should with for both... Experience from an Air Force Zoomie who spent a lot of time yachting with the Navy? Before you leave, eat a good meal so that you are satisfied but not overly full... Avoid acidic foods like orange juice, grapes, sodas but do enjoy tomato sauces on pasta, greasy food like fried potatoes or plain sausages... In fact greasy foods and crackers are your best friends! Keep a bottle of water handy to sip on along with a package of bisquits (soda crackers)... As soon as the stomach says "grumble", eat the biscuits with a good mouthful of water after each bite... What happens is the swallowed biscuit swells and keeps your stomach full... Your stomach contents can't easily slosh around - which is usually what motion sickness is all about!

• Like 3

chris49
Posted
Posted

Can't help with that Dave. No real experience in the area.

As a nurse with 38 years experience, I do have the experience to enter discussions on most of the medical topics. And it has been a tremendous help to me living here.

I probably in general wont recommend meds. But I do comment if the Dr. is pushing the highly expensive branded original medicines when there seems to be no clinical indication, if cheaper alternatives are available.

• Like 2

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted

Look up Sturgeron (Cinnarizine). It is/was widely used by yachtsmen and in the Royal Navy..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted

To add to my quick reply above Stugeron had a reputation in the eighties and nineties as the one effective palliative for seasickness. I remember reading an article in a yachting magazine by a naval surgeon who was recommending it following extensive research. I wrote is/was because I'm not up to date with the latest thoughts on the topic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk