Philippines Credit Card For Americans?

Richieboy67
Posted
Posted

Hey all,

I'm wondering if it is possible to get a local credit card here.

I really need to purchase a new laptop and is really like to finance it.

For example, in Abensons they will finace told and let you make payments as long as you have a local credit card.

Is it possible to get one or is there any other way to make an expensive purchase like a laptop and be financed without using my current credit cards?

Thanks

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

It has been my experience that the Philippine banks are quick to give foreigners a local credit card when they don't ask and don't need it.  Once I had 1, I used it for a couple of years and got a burr under my ass and then I complained about all the service charges (3 1/2 % per month plus charges per transaction plus 3,000 peso a year annual fee) and told them to shove it somewhere.

Now, when I go to different banks and ask for one, they wonder why I need it and they only offer the prepaid kind where you have to have money in the bank to use it so it would be useless to you.  Others I have talked to had the same experience.  I found it a simple process to use a North American Capitol One card here, at least until they learn you are living here full time.

• Like 3

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

Richie. Without a banking record of 6 months you can't get one.

You could assist your wife to get one. Especially if she is an existing customer at BDO, BPI etc. Using your influence eg, you and her go into the bank manager's office or assistant manager's office, and they note you are a foreigner. Then you ask about the requirements for your wife to get a card. The manager can recommend it if he wants. However, this is for pre existing account holders.

The other thing against you is you are not holding any kind of permanent visa. And as you have told us, you are waiting to take your wife back to the USA. So if they know any of that, you probably won't get one.

Edited by chris49
  • Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
Now, when I go to different banks and ask for one, they wonder why I need it and they only offer the prepaid kind where you have to have money in the bank to use it so it would be useless to you.

Some time I wonder if Dave is standing next to me when I run into these types of things. This was my experience exactly.

My wife and I have a joint US dollar account, and a Peso Checking account at BPI here. We maintain a safety deposit box and our balance reached some pretty high balances while we were building our house. We have never bounced a check and have never once come close to the minimum balance that is required. Having said all this.

My wife decided its time for us to have a local credit card in case of emergencies. (we normally just use our state side card) When we inquired at our branch getting one for her (having regained her Filipino citizenship) No problem. Me? only a secured card Sir! I asked the manager to double and triple check on it, and am still waiting for the answer. Thanks for the reminder, its time to waltz down there and stand on someone's desk :thumbsup: .

• Like 3

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

Why not use your USA credit card?

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
Why not use your USA credit card?

We do. We just wanted a Philippine one in case of emergency. Every so often (rarely) a vendor wants either your ACR card or passport when using an international credit card. I know we ran into that problem in Abensons (once).

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
It has been my experience that the Philippine banks are quick to give foreigners a local credit card when they don't ask and don't need it
Richie. Without a banking record of 6 months you can't get one.

The banking world changes rapidly so let me explain, I opened my first Philippine Bank account in Jan 2008.  It was June 2008 when they sent me a credit card without my even asking.  I was p1ssed at them because they sent it to the lodging house I lived at when I opened the account and the credit card was delivered to the house boy at that lodging house, even though I had moved out the month before.  Luckily I was friendly with everyone at that house and they knew where I lived AND they were honest AND they brought the card to me.

I doubt things are still done the same way so many years later.

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I love the looks on the cashier's face (and everyone else in line) when someone pulls out a card... The eye roll, and exasperated sigh.  It is the same look in the US when someone pulls out a checkbook.  :)

They really seem to prefer cash ha ha   :tiphat:

• Like 3

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

I've seen a checkout line held up for long periods because of someone buying something with a credit card. Some of their card readers cannot read the customers credit card.

I hate the hassle. I do not never ever use my credit card anymore. Cash is faster. If I ned to make a large purchase, I just withdraw the cash in advance. I do not plan on buying anything like a car so before I leave the house I'll take only the cash I'm going to need.

I'm due for a desktop computer but like I said, I'll take out the cash in advance.

Good Luck.