Allergies.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

My daughter has a cough again. I have been trying to narrow down where she has been to find a cause.

1 possibility is that she has hayfever like me.  She is always picking flowers so it could be the pollen.But next doors kids also have a cough and have been away for about 4 days so this is maybe not the cause.

My wife told me that a lot of other kids in her class in school also have/had coughs.

I read an article from the phills press this morning and it said we could experience higher than normal levels of humidity because of the storms in the area.This seems to be a more viable culprit as I know many expats who cough when the humidity increases(me being one of them) I have not completely ruled out Asthma but it seems unlikely that a lot of kids could suddenly develop Asthma at or around the same time.I am thinking of buying a nebuliser as this seems to help my daughter to cough less.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

My daughter has a cough again. I have been trying to narrow down where she has been to find a cause.

1 possibility is that she has hayfever like me.  She is always picking flowers so it could be the pollen.But next doors kids also have a cough and have been away for about 4 days so this is maybe not the cause.

My wife told me that a lot of other kids in her class in school also have/had coughs.

I read an article from the phills press this morning and it said we could experience higher than normal levels of humidity because of the storms in the area.This seems to be a more viable culprit as I know many expats who cough when the humidity increases(me being one of them) I have not completely ruled out Asthma but it seems unlikely that a lot of kids could suddenly develop Asthma at or around the same time.I am thinking of buying a nebuliser as this seems to help my daughter to cough less.

Kev for me and I am certainly no expert on this but have a talk to the Pharmacist about Anti-Histamine tablets.

JP

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Kev for me and I am certainly no expert on this but have a talk to the Pharmacist about Anti-Histamine tablets.

JP

Yes mate she is taking anti histamine syrup at the moment. I think we caught it just in time unlike 6 weeks ago when we were less prepared.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Yes mate she is taking anti histamine syrup at the moment. I think we caught it just in time unlike 6 weeks ago when we were less prepared.

That's Good, these Coughs can only do untold damage to Youngsters bronchi.

You know where I live and the Dust and pollen is causing no end of Problems but a lot of  parents do nothing and in later life wonder why their Kids are so weak But who are we?

JP :)

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

That would be asthma in 99% of cases. Asthma would be triggered by an allergy. Nebulizer is the next logical step and it's good to have one handy.

Is the anti histamine syrup Rx by a Dr. or suggested by a pharmacist. Hopefully it's the none drowsy kind.

One of the myths in childcare is that there's some allergy underlying a condition like asthma. Asthma has many triggers like merely a change in atmospheric conditions, eg rain is coming and the temperature drops a little and the child starts coughing. Both my kids are borerline, under control at the moment. However even if your child has only a few even 1-2 minor asthma attacks they will always be susceptible. One way to know is just stand with your ear close enough to hear them breathing, you might hear the wheezing.

At night, when the temperature drops even a little, put a slightly warmer shirt on. Don't run AC if you can keep the windows open. Running maybe a fan.

Naturally from time to time you might consult a Dr., maybe a pediatrician. They also don't know because the triggers for asthma cannot all be accounted for eg, smoke in any form, fresh paint, insect spray, perfume, you do not need a Dr. to know that and control it. But you might need a Dr to suggest meds and give you the prescription.

Childhood asthma is hereditary. As my dad had it, so do I, but it's completely controlled and my sports protects me quite well. But if you or your wife ever had even a mild asthma, the chance is quite high your kids might have it, even if mild.

One of the best non medical treatments for mild asthma is swimming in salt water, not in a chlorinated pool. Swimming or playing around in sea water is like a therapy breathing in clean air same as by nebulizer but without the meds added. There's a film of humidified air up to 6 inches above the water. A lot of champion swimmers have been mild asthmatics in early childhood.

In my triathlon competitive days, I always performed better if near the seaside. And there's a clear reason for that.

• Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

The meds we have are from the doctor who lives next door. Neither me or my wife have asthma but her father has it mildly.We do go to the sea quite as it is 100 yards away and well it`s good fun.thanks for the advice.

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

Cheers, although we talk sometimes about Meds here, generally speaking it's better getting them from a Dr. by prescription. He will know your case and have a record.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

One way to know is just stand with your ear close enough to hear them breathing, you might hear the wheezing.

Let me add a little bit here, please.

I may not be a nurse but have had experience with asthmatics.  Children like the attention they get when you put your ear close to hear them breathing.  They may either try to fake symptoms to get more sympathy or try to control their breathing because they do not want to rest or take medicine which they know is coming.

So sit back and watch the base of their neck when they do not realize you are paying attention. There is a little V shaped area which will sink when they breathe in if they are have an asthma attack.  Right where the neck meets the chest.  See where the finger is pointing in this pic?  When that area sinks in and comes out with every breath then you have a pretty good idea its an asthma attack.  At least that has been my personal observation.  Usual disclaimers apply  :thumbsup:

post-41-0-44045000-1441254430_thumb.png

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Yesterday and today she seems fine.My x wife was asthmatic so I do have a little experience of it. Thanks for the replies and support.

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

Dave, I was not a Peds Nurse so will not claim to know things I am not sure of.

We watched of course the flaring of the nostrils, and the movement of the sternum, which will retract in acute asthma.

Asthma in kids and COPD in adults are quite well known and widespread conditions. The treatment doesn't vary that much. Inhalers, nebulizers, inhaled steroids and maybe steroids by tablet or injection. And these days preventatives.

I won't mention any, it should come through a Dr. first time and after that it's just a matter of repeating.